facial pain when I touch another spot

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I have a pain in the face as follows:

Once I touch my lipps (below my right nose hole), I feel very painful chock above my right ear.

The pain becomes more painful in the winter

I have this problem from 2 years.

I did x-ray and MRI last year on my head and everything was OK.

Finally the doctor asked me to do massotherapy on my neck. I already do but no improvement.

My age is 34 - male.

Appreciate if If you can advise me what to do.

Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello, Sorry you are suffering with this pain. It seems like Trigeminal neuralgia. This is one of three nerves connected to the brain from the face. I know one runs along the jaw bone, one around the cheek and another one somewhere in these areas. Sorry cannot be more specific. I would advise a visit to your dentist who can diagnose this and treat or they may send you to a hospital specilist. It is a painful condition with sharp pain. Hope this helps.

Elizabeth.  

• Posted

Thanks a lot.

I read more info about Trigeminal neuralgia and I beleive this is exactly what I have.

• Posted

HI, i hope you get some treatment soon. Good luck, let me know in due course how you are getting on please.

Best wishes.

Elizabeth.

• Posted

I've had this pain (Trigeminal Neuralgia) off and on for past couple of years which I eventually traced it back to extensive dental work done previously.  When I reported to the dentist about this, all he said was, there is nothing wrong with the gum area that is in question.  

Because I have trouble chewing in this area, the only thing I do is to simply wait for it to pass i.e. eat soft food and do gentle neck exercises to relieve the related tension on the neck and shoulders. 

Besides taking prescription drugs (which I avoid because they cause more harm than help), does anybody have any suggestions or experience with this painful condition?

Thanks.

• Posted

Have you had this diagnosed as Trigemenial Neuralgia?  There are specific drugs for this condition which you really need to help alleviate this debilitating pain.  Your dentist seems dissmissive of this which is not proffessional.   All i can suggest is either ask the dentist for a referal for a hospital dentist to have a look, or ring an out of hours emergency dentist, no's in phone books, and explain your pain, thou it would be better if your in pain at the time. 
  • Posted

Hi,

I want to give update on my case.

In the past the sensitive part that when I touch I feel the pain was the upper lips. When i touch it I feel the painful chock above my right ear.

Recently it's my chin that when i touch i feel the shock above my right ear.

That's beside when i shave or smile ... i can feel the shock.

I spoke with my family doctor and show him the Trigeminal neuralgia information which fits 95% with my case. He prescribes me tegretol (carbamezapine) 200 mg.

I can say it has a good effect on me. The pain is not gone 100% but i would say 50% which is not bad at all. The doctor purposed to increase the dose but it's me who doesn't want.

It's a daily dose and has to be stopped gradually if you want to stop it.

Note that this is the same mediation for people who suffer from epilepsy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.