Facial sweating

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there I had a mental breakdown in 2014 and now have mental health issues and severe depressive disorder I take high dosage of 3 medications as soon as I started taking my meds I noticed a bit of sweating but disregarded as my gp advised that this was a side effect of 2 of my medicines. 3 years now I have suffered with facial sweating has got out of control the last 1 half year I sweat excessively from my face even if I'm not doing anything it literally drips of me like a dripping tap if I'm doing anything physical it streams of my head my hair is soaked all over in seconds it takes e a good half hour o an hour to stop the sweating it's not due to not being able to cool down because I'm not hot and cold to the touch. I can't go anywhere shops beach cinema without breaking into a sweat it's so embarrassing and people look at you as if your on something yes I am prescribed drugs is what I wish I could say to them all. Has anybody tried the 3d neat face saver gel I have just ordered some so would be interesting to hear people's story for this I have tried many remedies to no avail I can't have the prescribed drug from gp because of all the medication I take this is taking over my life I stay I the house all day every day only leaving to go to shop which is literally on my doorstep. Look forward to hearing from anyone.

Many thanks.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I feel for you Emma because for 6 years I had the same problem.  I had just started taking some pain killers for hip pain that required hip replacements, so it was put down to that medication.  I eventually stopped taking the medication, as I would rather have the pain than the horrible sweating and all that it entails, like having smelly wet hair at work, make up running off if I could get it on in first place, sweat dripping from eyelashes, getting up at midnight to wash my hair because I could not bear the sweating smell any longer - yeh, and looking like a druggie.  No, there was no miracle cure from stopping the medication.  Still no answers, because it was assumed the medication started it all.

After 6 years of not getting any answers, and ready to jump off a cliff, I took myself to a botox dr to try that no matter how much it cost.  This dr said she would rather find out what was causing it first.  Yay, so would I!  She referred me to an endocrinologist who tested all my pituitary gland hormones.  I had excessive prolactin and an MRI discovered a small tumour on my pituitary gland.

The medication, Carbergoline, was a miracle cure.  The sweating stopped very fast.  It seems that excess prolactin causes our oestrogen to be ineffective so I was suffering severe menopause symptoms, in particular the head and face sweating.  I don't know if I had other symptoms because the sweating and the distress of it overpowered everything else.  If I was cranky or lost libido, I put it down to the incessant sweating and how I felt.  I did not have to go back to the botox dr.

I had been in surgical menopause for a number of years but had been quite happily catered for by HRT.  Normally a younger woman could start leaking milk from her breasts, stop menstruating, etc, which would have been the normal markers for the prolactinoma problem.

Drs, generally it seems, do not test pituitary gland hormones, but I have discovered they can.  So I urge you to request those tests.

Now my oestrogen hrt does not seem to be working well anymore.  I am getting head sweats again (not as severe) and sometimes night full body sweats.  My endrocrinologist still monitors me and I still take the Carbergoline 9 years later, so my prolactin is very low but acceptable.  He says my body requires stronger oestrogen and I can go with that - just have to talk my gp around as she still thinks oestrogen is a bit of a boogy man.  Other research and my endocrinologist says the symptoms should be treated by whatever oestrogen is required, and not to go by blood test levels.

So that is my experience and I hope it is of some help to you.

• Posted

Hello Emma, sosorry you are in a bad way with these horrible sweats, l started mine really badly some 30 years ago.  Before this is was very stucky and got hot/ cold very easy but nothing like what hit me the very first attack.

My 26 year old son has Pots as well ( a gift from mum ☹️) he  tries to make a joke of it sometimes saying he now know what us ladies go through with the change of life but l know he finds it very distressing .

when l have a bad attack, which is normally once or twice a day ( like lve been in a boxing match with mike tyson.  It pours of me.  soaking  all my clothes anything l touch , bedding, furniture )  

lve been prescribed  Clonidine 100mc two twice a day , but after all these years they dont really work anymore, as soon as l feel tingling or a rising / falling feeling taking over my body l lay flat...right flat.

Sometimes l go to bed for a couple of hours especially if its a very cold sweat as l have to put 2/3 duvets on me to stop me shacking so much.  My lips go blue , my face grey and waxy and l look like death according to my husband and son.

its a very hard thing to deal with but over the 30+ years lve had it l have learnt not to get upset about it , the times l have missed family or special events because l have got all dressed up .....then soaked myself within a couple of minutes....too many l can tell you .

• Posted

Hi Emma!

I, too, take antidepressants and pain meds {for chronic pain}, and they both have side effects that includes sweating. And, on top of that, I also have "Hashimoto's Thyroiditis", which, for some reason, isn't easily managed, so that is yet another thing that causes sweating. When you add up all of these things, the ultimate result is excessive sweating--of my face and head. So, yeah, you and I, and as I've found on this forum, a whole bunch of people have that in common. Like you, I seldom leave my house. Unless I can wear a sweat wicking baseball cap. I have even not gone to a recent funeral of a family member because of my sweating.😫 I hate it!

However, after finding this forum, I now have some hope! I love how people here share the various types of treatment they have, or are going to try! So, I guess what I am saying is don't give up! Together, we ALL will handle this, and some day down the road we will manage our sweating, and it will NO LONGER MANAGE US!!😊👍🏼👍🏼

• Posted

Insulionima (dx: blood test of low blood sugar with high insulin level)

& subanachroid cysts (both)

Can cause facial sweating

Sometimes dystonia will also occur

I had sweating x4 years; 5-6th year developed gradual multi-sporadic dystonia.  If the thing had been stopped my andrenols would not have been damaged nor would i now have dystonia (neurological movement)problems. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.