Facing 9th pilidonal cyst disease surgery.

Posted , 2 users are following.

My son is 21 yrs old and has had 8 surgeries since June 2012. He was also diagnosed with osteomyelitis. 1st surgeon operated 6 times, 2nd surgeon 2 times. Two different wound centers. Drs operate leave open with wound can, treated on the 7th one with IV antibiotics and hyperbaric chamber. Yet today we went and pus is just draining out of one of the tracks.

So has anyone had this battle and won?

Dr said they have never seen such a case.

Is there any speciality surgeon that has beat this condition?

I am in Alabama, but willing to go to other states if need too.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Dear Ms Terry,

Its unfortunate that your son had to undergo so much at this age. You said he underwent 8 surgeries but did not specify what kind. Was he diagnosed with pilonidal sinus ? Did the doc operate and remove the sinus completely or he just drained the pus out? Ideally for the condition to not re-occur he has get the whole sinus tract(s) removed and the wound has to heal up out completely by itself. When I say this, its out of my experience ( I am not a doctor ) of having a pilonidal sinus surgery done in 2005 and it reoccured in 2016, went on with it ( occasional bleeding from the affected area ) until I finally decided to operate in Nov2017. After one and a half months of rest, I feel a lot better now.  However the doctor never said it wouldn’t come back again. Keeping fingers crossed and I have now accepted that this going to be part of my life and am living with it, atleast its healed for now.

• Posted

My son had 8 pilidonal cyst disease surgeries.

Plus in the 7th one they found he has osteomyelitis by MRI. So he had 6wks of IV antibiotics and hyperbaric chamber for 30 days.The surgeon used blue dye to follow the track and was all cut out.

Rach time he was cut opened 12 in long, 6 in wide and 6 in deep. Packing after using the wound vac. Abiut every 10 months it shows up again. This last time the surgeon could feel the sacrum, which is the layer that protects the spine. Trying yo find an colon and rectal Dr for a second opinion. Was your surgeon a general surgeon or another kind.

• Posted

Thank you for your feed back.Yes it was 8 pilidonal cyst disease surgeries.

They removed the whole sinus cavity, each time.

He was cut 12 inches long

6 inches wide & 6 inches deep.

Left open with a wound vac until it got too small for the vac.

Then we used packing and dressings.

He has the 9th surgery on the 20 of Feb.2018.

We are going to the University of Alabama in Birmingham.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.