Facing all the symptoms of hypothyroid but doctor says I am fine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Male 22 years old

Blood work:

Free T3 : 2.00 pg/ml (2.77-5.27)

Free T4: 0.7 ng/dl (0.78-2.19)

TSH :2.32 MIU/ml (0.465-4.68)

I have been facing most of the symptoms of hypothyrodism. Muscle pains, aches, dizziness, weakness, extreme fatigue, cold intolerance, stress, constipation are most prevalant. Been like this past 6 weeks.

Went to a couple of doctors but they say I am fine. Mostly because I have normal TSH levels. But what I am feeling is anything but fine. Been in the worst phase of my life.

Some suggestions please. Is the doctor right?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi kushal,Try googling Thyroid Blood Tests,which will give you the ranges and more information from Thyroid UK.Sorry can't help more,but hopefully that site will give suggestions.Gill
  • Posted

I could have wrote your post

I'm in the exact same position

The doc said I'm fine yet I have symptoms of thyroid disorder. My results were TSH: 2.0 but a test i had before that was 2.7.

Keep going to the doctors with your symptoms and keep pushing and pushing

Don't give up with them, they will soon see your serious and send you off to be seen. The thing is with some thyroid issues is that there is more than the TSH and thus don't test for it so even though your TSH is normal, your other thyroid hormones might not be.

• Posted

That's right,Samantha.They could at least check your T4.I'm pushing to get my T3 tested,but they don't do them in my area,so hoping new Endo will do them.
  • Posted

I'm not an expert but could it be something else? Maybe your doctor needs to check you out more thoroughly? You obviously are not feeling well!!!
    • Posted

My endocrinologist checked my results from last year(which were all normal) and compared it to the recent one and said that its only a case of weak thyroid syndrome and there's nothing to worry about.

If it was normal last year, then I may not have any thyroid problems. Does thyroid problem develop in 1 year? Thoughts

• Posted

Hi Kushal, Your free T3 is low for a start. T3 and T4 should be at the higher end of the range. Keep a diary of your symptoms and look forward to a doctor who will treat you properly based on your symptoms and not robotically adhere to the blood tests. 
    • Posted

My endocrinologist checked my results from last year(which were all normal) and compared it to the recent one and said that its only a case of weak thyroid syndrome and there's nothing to worry about.

If it was normal last year, then I may not have any thyroid problems. Does thyroid problem develop in 1 year? Thoughts

• Posted

Hi Kushal, It's the first time I have heard of  'weak thyroid syndrome'. Nothing came up when I Googled it. You have the symptoms of an underactive thyroid, your T3 is low. He may not have anything to worry about, but telling you not to worry is patronising and borderline negligent. Could you see another doctor who is willing to treat you properly?
    • Posted

Yes, I also did some digging and I have been facing most of the symptoms relating to underactive thyroid for the past 2 months. But my doctor is adamant that its just a weak thyroid because it was normal a year back. He has told me to do some other blood tests but I think whatever the result, he will still stand by his previous decision. 

And where I live I believe almost all of the doctors will say the same thing. 3 doctors already said my thyroid is normal and I have nothing to worry about. 

But what I am going through is anything but fine. But no one will listen to me!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.