Facing big toe fusion in two months

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello,

I am scheduled to have a big toe fusion and bunion removal in August.  I have read (and heard) many negative comments about the operation and the healing process.  Currently my pain is moderate to severe but bearable moist of the time and I am wondering whether I should go ahead.  I lead a very active life, play tennis, walk, swim and look after grandchildren.  I understand the need to follow instructions after the op and am willing to do that as long as I feel the benefit in the long term. 

Any advice welcome please!

Regards

Jan

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Jan, I'm having bunion surgery and big toe fusion hopefully in

September. Just like you I have a lot of concerns but I know I will

regret it later on if I don't go through with it. I agree with all comments

made, the choice is yours, you can be forever looking at peoples own

experiences and asking for advice but each surgery is different and pain

threshold are totally different in everyone. I would write down a list of

questions you want answered by your consultant and any alternatives to

the surgery being suggested.

• Posted

Hi Tracey, thank you for your reply. I am still vacillating. Tonight I went out in 2 inch wedge heels and no pain. Earlier today in soft canvas flat shoes lots if pain, sometimes good, sometimes bad , so I just don't know. Good luck with your surgery. Where do you live?
  • Posted

Hi Jan, l live in Warlingham Surrey, you?. I don't get much pain in feet bar

from cramps (at night) I have very bad bunions which are heretitory. Would

have had them sorted years ago but had daughter. She is now 7, I have a very

close family and excellent friends who will be helping me once I have them done

(One at a time). Like you I have a very hectic life, I work basically from home,

(Well as a pa in shop below where I live). My boss is excellent, my plan is to return

to work asap, as easier to stay down stairs to let dog out and can still have my

foot elevated and be waited on by my boss. I hope you are doing well, I know

how stressful this all is and I'm always here if you need a chat.

• Posted

Thanks for your story. My surgery is due on 31st August, if I have it. Still not sure but will let you know. 

Jan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.