Facing L5 S1 fusion

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have spondylolisthesis and the only option that has been given it a spinal fusion. I dont like the 70% success rate . Has anyone had another procedure done for spondylolisthesis other than a spinal fusion?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I don't have anything to offer you because I've never had that kind of surgery on my back before. But I am so happy to hear that a surgeon is finally putting at percentage of a success rate to a patient. I get so frustrated when people say they're getting ready to go into surgery to have something fixed and they're looking forward to never having pain again. And then I try to explain to them back surgery as a very low success rate and they don't want to accept that. And that's because their doctor let them think that this was going to be the answer to their prayers. I think you're wise and giving a lot of thought. And I suspect that the success rate maybe even lower than 70%. I would ask the surgeon how long he thinks the spinal fusion will last. And how will the rest of your spine react to the fusion in a few years time?

• Posted

Three years ago I had a 3- level lumbar fusion, L2-3, L3-4, L4-5 (at age 68, healthy and very active prior to this). I was desperate for relief from spinal stenosis, degenerative arthritis, facet arthropathy...nerve pain into my leg. Rehab was difficult, took a long time (my age was likely a factor), but I worked hard at it. I feel like I have my life back, no longer have the nerve pain if I prioritize my activities, not doing too much strenuous activity in any one day. I know the levels above and below the fusion are at risk for further problems, but for now I'm thankful every day for the outcome of my surgery. Most days I'm not even aware of my back condition. I'm forever grateful that surgery was an option for my condition even though one spine surgeon said he wouldn't attempt it. I sought another opinion and found the right surgeon. Most days I'm not even aware of my back problem. Good luck, and I hope you find relief from pain. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.