Facing "Prostate Shaving"

Posted , 9 users are following.

First off, I would like to thank all those whose contributions I've been reading (mainly those responding to graham30431). I really appreciate all that info on possible alternatives, with personal experiences as well as the pros and cons.

My case is a little different. After initially being diagnosed with stage 4 terminal bladder cancer and told I only had weeks to live, plus there was nothing they could do for me, I became a pro-active patient (doctors advise, I decide). All that was nearly 7 years ago.

I have been on Tamsolusin on and off (definately on in the last year) to help peeing.

In the last year, my blood pressure has risen to dangerous levels. Hypertension pills have helped somewhat, and by experimenting I've got to a good combination with little swelling and other side-effects. But then my remaining kidney started failing.

Investigating this a couple of weeks ago, it was found that my retention (no-one mentioned PVR) had worsened from an earlier 'normal' of 500-600mL to 1.2L and this was thought to have caused the kidney problems. 

I'm now catheterised for 4 weeks (half-way through now), and both my blood pressure and kidney function tests are showing an improvement.

The last thing the urologist said was that they'd probably be considering prostate shaving. Hence my coming to this forum and reading up on the alternatives (Urolift sounds an attractive option if I'm suitable). Whilst I understand that TURP is both the gold-standard and generally OK, the stories here have underlined the serious risk of bad side-effects. So I'll see if I'm eligable for some of the alternatives (not just Urolift, but PAE and WHY).

I'll update when I've seen the urologist next.

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My father had the TURP procedure about 5 weeks ago and it was a great success. He now only needs to pee every couple hours and told me the recovery was a breeze. He feels he has his life back instead of looking for a bathroom every 15-20 minutes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.