Facing Weird problem after successful? tympanoplasty

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had tympanoplasty in 2012. It was all good for 2 years but then I started feeling Pain and itching in my operated left ear.Sometimes pus starts flowing out of my ear after infection, generally during cold and running nose.Added one more problem, I started making vibrations/noise/voices using my Tongue? around the area? of ear inside the mouth to get relief from itching and most weirdest thing about this is I do this during sleeping also, involuntarily. I already visited number of doctors for last 5 years. They are like your ear is all good but couldn't tell about itching and voices you make. Need help.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Assuming you still have ready access to the surgeon who operated on your ear, you should schedule a visit with him/her.  There are multiple possibilities as to what is going on.  The surgeon who is familiar with your case and knows exactly what was done is in the best position to advise you.  You should not take the word of ANY general practitioner as to the status of your ear, for reasons I have explained more than once on this forum.

I don't know your current age or at what age you developed ear problems.  I'll assume the cause of your ear problem before surgery was the result of childhood ear infections, although I don't even really know that.   (History is VERY important in the practice of medicine, as it contributes a lot to critical decision-making.)  

If you had a longstanding perforation in your eardrum as a result of recurrent or persistent childhood middle ear infections, that is often caused by inadequate eustachian tube function.  Sometimes that function improves as a child matures, sometimes not.  Inadequate eustachian tube function is the most common cause of tympanoplasty failure in children and adults, and the failure usually occurs with the first cold that the patient gets after the surgery is done.  If you have poor eustachian tube function, the odds of long-term success in a reconstructed ear drop dramatically.  See your ear doctor, and don't be shy about seeing more than one, as surgeons are not always totally objective about their own work.  A second opinion will also be valuable if a revision tympanoplasty is proposed.

• Posted

Thanks for reply.

I already visited my surgeon three four times. But he couldn't find the problem with my ear developed after 2 years of surgery.

Maybe it is eustachian tube dysfunction. Then how to improve eustachian tube functioning??

I don't want to operate my ear once again.I think it won't be helpful now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.