Fact or myth with a hidascan

Posted , 4 users are following.

I just had my hida done today the most unpleasant part was when she injected the 2nd med and told me I may get alittle nauseau and some cramps.well almost threw up and the cramps where horrendous.she had me smelling an alcohol wipe and had to get me some water.now i heard that if this part is painful it means your gb is bad? don't know whether to believe that or not

anyone else ever heard this?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Had mine last friday. Just laid on the bed for an hour then after an hour drank a drink and laid there for another hour. Wonder why I didnt get the injection?

• Posted

Had HIDA scan done some months ago (gb gone now) and I had an injection. They inject nuclear stuff into you which makes your gb react. Sure it wasn't a ct scan you had done as had that also and had to drink a liquid as well. GB removed 4 weeks ago and still trying to come to terms with digestive issues.

• Posted

Hi Matthew, Seems strange to have no injection. I'm having a HIDA in a few weeks. From what i can make out a nuclear tracer is put into your blood whilst you lay under a gamma machine, when the tracer is seen in your gallbladder and ducts you are given something to stimulate the gallbladder so the gamma machine can see how quickly you gallbladder and ducts empty.

Are you in the UK Matthew?

Vivian, how long did the scan take?

• Posted

Lay on the bed and had the initial injection of the tracer but no other injections

• Posted

no. i already had a ct scan. my gp called me this afternoon which i thought was odd.said they already faxed him the hida report from this morning and my fraction came back an 11 with sludge in it.so its coming out!

• Posted

about an hour and a half for me.I think it depends on if they see something right away or not

• Posted

Hi Vivian the injection is a radio active dye which they follow as it moves through your body and it will tell them what or what is not working. Don't know about the painful comment but I suppose that will boil down to what you have wrong.

How long have you got to wait for results? I would have thought they would have told while you was there but lets hope whatever it is, they pull their finger out to tell you.

• Posted

my gp called me that afternoon.my fraction was 11% when its abnormal they contact your Drs.right away

• Posted

Hi Vivian, OK so it looks like your going to have it taken out then. I am glad you have your answer at last? That means your GB is no way near functioning properly. I unfortunately only know what has been said in here and through research that there is an upper and lower limit and or other things may be taken into consideration.

Good luck Vivian .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.