Faecal Calprotectin Test?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Back in October I started having abdominal pain and rectal bleeding. I ignored it for about a month thinking it would go away until it got horrific one night and was taken to hospital. At hospital they said it was probably my appendix. They removed my appendix but said it wasn't inflamed when they removed it. They then discharged me even though my symptoms were no better.

I was diagnosed with anaemia in February. I phoned my GP over the next few months as problems were getting worse but because of Covid, it wasn't possible to be seen. I eventually got a phone appointment last week with a new GP. She said that because both my dad and granddad had bowel cancer, I should have a faecal calprotectin test to see if there is any blood in my faeces.

I know that there is blood in my faeces because it's very much visible - there's A LOT of blood. The amount varies but sometimes there's more blood than anything else. I phoned up for the test results this morning and the receptionist said that they're normal so nothing further will be done. How can this be so?! I can see the blood really clearly!

I've been in pain for months now, I can't eat properly without bloating and pain, I'm bleeding all the time so have to wear sanitary pads not to stain my clothes - the doctor is just saying I'm completely fine.

Has anyone else experienced this? What do I do?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

I know this is 5 weeks old but I thought I would reply.

A Calprotectin test doesn't test for blood, it's tests for inflammation. The fact that it is normal makes Bowel cancer very unlikely. It's not a specific test for cancer but it appears to have a NPV of 98% for Bowel cancer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.