Faecal elastase?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello a few months ago I was Prescribed lansoprazole for a small hiatus hernia and mild gastritis.

These seemed to work and stopped the indigestion.

However because my stools were loose and lost some weight I was referred to gastrology.

The consultant has took many blood test along with stool samples.

I obtain the results yesterday, all bloods are clear but I was told that my levels of faecal elastase are low and indeed to come back to have my pancreas scanned with a CT.

I have looked this up on Google and see that it relates to digestive enzymes being low or not produced by the pancreas. Could I ask what this means and why this would be the case?

I am only 38 years old so wouldn't have thought pancreatic cancer would be the cause, would it?

I am meeting my Dr next week but any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Low levels of faecal elastase mean ur pancreas isn't working properly. could be due to pancreatitis, diabetes, gallstones among many other potential causes..

Considerable Weight loss along with low levels of elastase could be indicative of pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas). You mentioned loose stools, do u mean oily appearance (fat in stools..) ? Again this is also indicative of pancreatitis

Do u have abdominal pain??

Research "pancreatitis" and read about the signs and symptoms and see if u cld relate

Again, I'm only guessing. Ur doctor will make the right diagnosis. Do not worry lets always have our hopes high

Goodluck ! smile

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.

When I say loose stools the texture is what I would call mushy, not noticed oily texture though.

I do have right hand side abdominal pain that comes and goes.

I guess I will know more after my CT

Thanks

• Posted

How are you now witsend? It's been awhile. Any updates?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.