failed after 3rd ablation

Posted , 18 users are following.

hello all 

I am here to update my life with Afib and my 3rd ablation,,,,,

I have had 3 ablations in 2 month and dont i know it am wiped out last one

5 days ago. Where my heart was pearced and i needed a drain worse few days of my life after the 2nd ablation i swaped Afib for Aflutter never had Aflutter before. so i ended up in A&E I cant ever remember how many times ive been to hospital.. the last ablation failed yet again and yesterday laying in bed to rest my heart went back into Arial Flutter and i am so heart broken mentally and physically. I am grown Man of 46 and ive been in tears most of the day I just dont know what to do anymore feeling my life ended. I am now on more drugs then before blood thiners i am on Amiodarone that scares the life out of me i am on iron tablets because of the blood i lost. I cant do hospitals anymore, i wish i had never had an ablation but people who are waiting for ablations and read this please please dont go off my story xx    people of this forums i am lost trully lost :-(

steven

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Steven,

I too had a simular experience & almost lost my life!, i am feeling exactly the same ,very very depressed ,Please Read On.

Warning !!

To anyone with AF who is thinking of having ablation surgery

I have some very important info' for this group. I am an AF sufferer since 2008.in 2010 i had my first catheter ablation the new "Arctic front Ablation" [cryo/freezing method] it worked for around 18months but then the AF returned., i put up with it for a couple of years, but I was then recommended another ablation called Point to Point catheter ablation which is the usual or common ablation technique, which burns the problem areas. This was supposed to be "very Low risk minimal invasion Day surgery" with few complications & i was told nothing to worry about we can deal with the complications should any arise. So i went in for the surgery a few weeks ago. During the ablation the procedure the surgeon pierced a hole in the wall of my heart & he could not stop the bleeding, i was rushed to another theatre [unconcious] where another team had to open my chest, Put me on a bypass machine to enable them to repair the hole & stop the bleeding, i was in theartre a total of around 7 hours, i had to have a transfusion, i was then hept in a comma & put on a life suppoprt machine for 24 hours, following that i was in intensive care for a further 48 hours. several weeks on I am still recovering from this Nightmare.. Also whilst i was in hospital i spoke to another AF ablation patient who had suffered the same heart puncture during the ablation, but he was a bit luckier than me, they managed to stop his bleed without openenig his chest. I have had several different operations over the years & i have never had an issue with bleeding before...

i was not warned about this fatal risk beforehand by the consultant !!!

My advice to anyone with AF thinking of having an ablation,THINK VERY CAREFULLY, IT IS A DANGEROUS PROCEDURE!!  I almost lost my life

Best Wishes

Graham

• Posted

Hi Graham

Sorry to hear about your experience. It sounds like you and other patients have been subjected to a terrible experience. Did you complain or have the opportunity to investigate how many other people this has happened to where you had this done, as it seems to me they either need more training or need to admit they're not up to the job. All patients should be advised of the risks of a procedure, so if you feel up to it I think it would be wise to contact the complaints department and tell them that this is not happening. I think this should have been reported as a Serious Untoward Incident and again I think it would be helpful to contact the CCG to tell them about your experience so that they can make sure the Trust are being honest about what's going on. We can't name specific Trusts on this site, but I always think it's worth complaining, being aware that it could save yourself or someone close to you a similar experience (or their lives).

Take care

• Posted

Hi.

I have put a complaint in via PALS, it takes aprox' 25 days to get a reply, but i will take it much further if i have to. Patients are not given enough information regarding "Risk"..This complication is far more common than they make out, but i am guessing that if they told every patient the real risk that they would not have anyone to practice on.

who are the CCG you mention in your post ?

Cheers

graham

• Posted

It's the Clinical Commissioning Group who give the hospitals the funding to pay for this work. It might also be useful to let the Care Quality Commission know about your experiences as well, if you feel up to it.

The British Heart Foundation might have statistics on the complications and success of this procedure - I'll see if I can find anything out.

Best Wishes

• Posted

I agree about the arrogance of some surgeons/consultants. 

Any information would be very welcome, as anyone seen this "A Patient Guide to Electrophysiology Study and Catheter Ablation" it very informative, i have it on a PDF file so i cannot copy the link onto here, but you may find it on Google.

• Posted

Hi Steven I am 50 and I can relate to everything you are talking about ! I am sorry to hear you have had so much hassle but please don't give up mate !

i have struggled with irregular heart beat for 7 years and it is a lot worse at night and I just don't get a heavy sleep anymore . I could not cope anymore with the doctor kept giving me pills that did not work if anything it made me feel worse .i was told about the ablation operation from a colleague so I was hopeful ! 

I had the operation a month ago which was successful until a couple of days ago when  it all has come back I am absolutely gutted .so I am not going to give up and hope to have another operation ! 

Good luck Steve and stay strong .

• Posted

Hi Richard, I also had some Afib. A few weeks post ablation, but hang in there and stay hopeful. Has your Electrophysiologist mentioned the '3 month blanking period?' Any Afib in the first 3 months post op doesn't count count as things are still settling down. I also had some Afib a few weeks post op, but have been Afib free for 18 months now.

good luck👍

• Posted

Hi. I too have had 3 ablations and after the first, the very next day was in afib! Surgeon knew straight after surgery he would need me in again. No. 2 was 5 months after and he thought he'd nailed it, but 32 days post op, I was back to my old afib routine. Had my 3rd procedure this Feb, and felt worse than before it, HOWEVER, finally, heading into 7 months post-op, Im at last feeling improvements. Ive still got to be wary, but I can at least DO things again now. Im off all meds since May and trying to rebuild some stamina. I still avoid loads of foodie triggers, dont drink or smoke and avoid lifting. A change of job has also reduced stress significantly which I am convinced has helped too. Im nearly 54, female and currently (after meds and almost 3yrs of little physical activity) about 2stone (28lb) overweight, but its dropping slowly. Stick with it and try to chill.

• Posted

Hi Steven, 

i can completely relate. Im a 35 year old woman who had a mini stroke a year ago and was diagnosed with AF. 

Since then i have had 3 ablations for AF and then for flutter, 3 cardio versions, had a temp pace maker fitted through my neck as the beta blockers were making my heard have long pauses and i was passing out..... 

All that and im still not fixed and looking to another ablation.

I know this is scary, and hard and the feeling of impending doom can send you down the deep dark rabbit hole but please keep your head up and stay strong, you will get through this. 

Also, get a second opinion if you can or a consultation with another professor. I was supposed to have the best guy around on Harley Street but then had a run in with a cab driver who told me about another Professor in London Bridge so im going to see what he has to say. 

All the best and i wish you well, keep us up to speed with your progress!

Lynn x

• Posted

I cannot understand why you’ve had  so many ablations in so short a time. There is a blanking period of 6 months after an ablation to see if it was successful.  Your heart hasn’t had a chance to recover from the first ablation.  I would suggest the possibility of your seeing another EP. this just doesn’t seem right. Oh yes, just to let u know I was on amiorodone for 10 months and monitored closely and although I know it can have some terribly negative side affects and a bad reputation , I had none. And it was the only med prior to my (second) ablation that kept my heart in Rythym.  What country are u in?  
  • Posted

Hi Steven ~

My husband is currently going through what you went through.  I can totally understand why you were feeling.  It is very discouraging.

He see's a highly regarded electrophysiologist in suburban Chicago.  He's also trying some unconventional things like Wild Thornberry which hasn't shown to be successful yet (been on it a few weeks).  Apparently it was well tested in Germany.  The Mayo Clinic website also inidcates that some people have had success with acupuncture.  He is going to try this next.  His doc has mentioned a pace maker but it doesn't sound like that does a great job either - just prevents the really bad rhythms from happening.

Just wondering how you are now three years later and if you had additional ablations or different treatments or medications.  Did or have you seen other doctors for additional opinions?

Kelly

• Posted

hello kelly

I really should have done an update, I really went through hell 2+ years ago worse time of my life, after the 3rd heart ablation I was told it failed weeks later, I ended up back in hospital for 11 days with Afib which was very hard to cope with sad on the 10th day my heart went back into sinus rhythm best day of my life smile and I've been Afib free ever since, l so it did work after all smile I am still on medication I am on 5mg of bisoprolol I were on 10mg but I've lowered it to 5mg and I am on 50mg of flecainide I am not sure I need to be on medication now but I don't want to risk it returning,

• Posted

Hi

I'm Nicola and suffered a.fib I have a pic operation which stopped it this was 3yearsago...I have always had extra heartbeats since.. but yest .. I got up from chair pain in chest up in shoulders clammy hot... and since my heart is playing up feels like it glitters when I move.. I hope it's not a fib again

You must follow what doc says... I was I host every week..please if you know your not right ring a ambulance..I did not think this would come back to anyone x

• Posted

Hi Steven,

This is also my 3rd ablation with WPW. I can understand how you feel with this disease with the feeling of hopelessness. My children is the thing that motivated me to keep fighting this disease.

Chris,

• Posted

At 46, my husband had several cardioversions that would get him in sinus for weeks and then down to only hours. Also also had 3 failed abblations. Started with afib and then developed flutter. After about 18 months he was referred to Loyola University medica. Shortly thereafter he went into heart failure and was hospitalized. The Maze procedure was discussed as well as an A,V (atrium/ventricle) node ablation. Cardiology team advised Maze was not predicted to be a high enough success due to repeated failed abblations. Since Maze requires open heart surgery, if it didnt work he would be a candidate for a Vad pump and/heart transplant. Since they did not want the possibility of 3 open heart surgeries, they reccomended the AV node abblation with a defibrliter pace maker. This procedure makes home completely pacemaker dependent. That surgery was a fairly easy recovery however he remained in flutter. He was put a low sodium diet and lost 30 pounds. His echo cardiogram numbers went from 15 to 35 in 6 weeks and was feeling much better. At about 8 weeks he had a cardioversion to see if they could get him in sinus rhythm. This time it worked and he has been in sinus for about a month. He continues to exercise and is trying to lose more weight. Has about 75 pounds more to lose.

My reccomendation for anyone with failed procedures for Afib/flutter is to get referred to a highly rated university medical center. That's where the best docs are.

• Posted

Well said and great to hear Kelly. I too believe that ensuring that you have a highly skilled electrophysiologists (as well as highly skilled team) performing your ablation is the key to success (and longevity of the ablation).

Weight loss is also a major contributor to remaining in rhythm.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.