Failed again!!! So disappointed!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am ashamed to be admitting to this but I have miserably failed again to come off cocodomol! I used to take 6 to 8 30/500 tablet's a day but had managed to taper down to 3 a day but after an really stressful week I have started taking 6 a day again!! I know this is no excuse for doing this!! Should I just start tapering again on Monday......I really thought I was doing so well but it just proves to me how these little white buggers have got a hold on me!!! Advice please???????

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Hannah! 

I cannot see how old your thread is, I'm new to this group. 

I've been addicted to codeine for around a year, a slightly higher dose than yourself.

After scouring this forum all of this morning for ways to stop, I've decided to go and see my local pharmacist who I've noticed had given me a few concerned looks the last times I've purchased codeine. 

It's taking a lot of guts to do this... after all I could continue down the road to a local non-meds-assist pharmacy grab a pack of p15 and continue on my 'merry' high life. 

But not today. 

I'm tired of hiding the packets from my family. I'm scared I will ruin my body. 

I'm scared I will go into forced withdrawal without support as the prescription only law comes in in a few months time. 

Most of all I'm scared as I cannot trust myself not to relapse. 

I need support and so does everyone else addicted to this nasty stuff. 

Stay in contact Hannah. 

• Posted

Hiya Happy....well done on taking the first step....this forum is brilliant support and everyone here knows about failing! At my highest dose of guess I was taking maybe 10 30/500 mg cocodomol a day (my doc prescribed them to me about 10 year's ago fo4 chronic pain associated with fibromyalgia). When I was taking the prescribed dose i was fine but gradually I just kept upping the dose! I live in UK so doc still prescribes me these but she nor my family dont know that I have a problem with them. I don't know if u saw my thread where I went on holiday with my partner in August and I ran out of my tablets (becoz I was taking more than I should)...on the third day without them in started being really sick...dioreahh...restless legs...cold sweats etc. I never slept for 3 days and nights. My partner took me to hospital on the 3rd day because I felt and looked so I'll. I was totally dehydrated I had to be put on drip and got 3 litres of fluid. Hospital wanted me to stay in they thought I had a nasty gastric bug or food poisoning but I was coming home the following day. As soon as I got home and took them devil of tablets within an hour i was fine! It was only then I realised that not taking the tablets had caused all my sickness. That experience is why I don't want to go cold turkey...I'm starting again tomorrow to start tapering atm I'm taking between 4 and 6 a day. I googled the 'thomas recipe' it's supplements u can buy that is supposed to help with withdrawal symptoms....I've bought them all and have them here in the house. There is another good support group on Facebook called codeine addiction. Keep in touch and let me know how you are getting on and all the best x

• Posted

Hi Hun,

Personally I would get help from a drug and alcohol team.

I had to do this, yes it is scary and the thought of telling someone about your addiction is hard but it's not something they haven't heard about before.

I lost custody of my 2 year old because of this addiction.

He will come home but I need to be drug free.

I start a detox at 5pm tonight and tomorrow a nurse will come to see me, she will give me a medication to minimise withdrawal and check my blood pressure etc.

They did offer me methadone but I just wanted to have my son back as soon as possible so I've committed to this.

Please seek help, it's a horrible addiction and so many are affected.

When I first came on here, I couldn't believe that so many people were affected.

Good luck, you CAN do it. These drugs are the enemy xx

• Posted

Thanks hun....I can't confide in anyone as my partner and family are so anti drugs and they don't know. Thankfully my kids are all grown up. What a horrible position u r in....I hope your detox works for you....keep in touch x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.