Failed ankle replacement.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys, was wondering if anybody else is having the same chronic pain as myself. I had my TAR in Nov 14ever since I've been in so much pain its unreal. I've had many more xrays since my opp but all seems normal, there was an infection detected during a PET scan at my local hospital in Liverpool. Since this scan I've been back into hospital to have some fluid removed from my foot, and have been told if the infection is bad then my replacement has to come out, resulting in me possibly having lower leg amputation. I regret ever having this TAR and would of suffered the little pain that I was in, rather than going through all this agony and torment. Is anyone else who has had this opp suffered having an infection and what was your outcome? Many thanks Wayne

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Dear Wayne,

I am terribly sorry for your issue follwoing the procedure, this is certainly NOT what to expect and you are doing right by doing a proper follow up on the case of infection, this can be very serious.

I this forum, we usually meet people who were success stories, I myself consider one of the fortunate ones. I do not regret that I did my TAR, then again I did not have any post operatory issues that would create side problems. Other patients who share experiences here may have had other issues, too, but all in all we mostly have to deal with the slow recovery process, which is quite expected. 

I share my feelings for you and truly hope you will get better, perhaps even keeping your replacement and achieving the proper recovery, in good hands.

Gilbert

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words, I shall keep you posted in the coming weeks, maybe months on my progress. Hoping for a happy ending to what has been a nightmare 7 months. Regards Wayne.
  • Posted

Hi Wayne, just wondering how you are getting on and if there has been any improvement. I'm hoping they can clear the infection without the need to remove the implants. 

I am still waiting to have mine replaced and feeling much more nervous this time around.

Very best wishes, Gill 

• Posted

Hi gill, I'm going back into hospital to have another operation on my foot but need to make a decision quickly weather to have another tar or fusion. (It's been confirmed that the plastic part of the tar has broken) I'm weighing up the pros and cons of fusion at the moment. I don't think I could go through another tar opp incase this new one has the same problem.. hmm decisions decisions lol. Take care gill speak soon wayne.
  • Posted

Hi Wayne, I really wish I could advise you professionally. All I can say is that  after my first TAR procedure, which is thought to be loose, I am having another probably in October. My personal thoughts on fusion are; last chance, no flexion of the ankle, other foot bones move to accommodate, they will eventually become arthritic and painful, can't get into wellies/ boots etc. 

I've not had an easy 18 months but I'm sure your pain has been worse, however I personally wouldn't choose a fusion yet, and I'm now 60, until I've tried at least one more TAR.

What does your contact in USA have to say about it?

Also ! Who will be operating? Is it the same surgeon? If it is then he may not necessarily be guiding you in the right direction. Right for him maybe to cover his tracks..............

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.