Failed anterior repair op

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I had an a@p repair on 9 May 2016. After 2.5 weeks I felt as though the prolapse had come back. Saw my Consulyant at 6 week check up who confirmed that it had come back and that the operation had failed. Totally devastated! Have been told that once my body gets back to "normal" I can consider having it done again in October. Has this happened to anyone else? If so, did it work the second time around? 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

oh so sorry to hear that. I had mine done in April. I am not convinced it has worked. Had my post op yesterday. The surgeon said it had healed nicley. That bit I don't disagree with. But when I have a bm I can feel the bulge. May I ask how you knew it had failed?

​When I had my original consultation he examined me lying on my side and aske dme to 'bear down' etc. This time I lay on my back as he wanted to see the healing an dif there was any problem with my bladder. (I hav eturned down the TVT repair for th emoment.

​If you can explain how you knew the failure had occurred it would be good to know.

​Again sorry to hear that - I don't knwo what to say. The op. takes so much out of you doesn't it and to have it fail and the thought of going through it again - well

• Posted

hi the prolapse is very low and visible, it's pressing on my bladder too making me want to wee every ten minutes x
  • Posted

Triswizz the prolapse is very low and visible. Very uncomfortable and again it is pressing on my bladder making me need a wee every 10 minutes. X
  • Posted

Hi Caroline,

So sorry to hear that your anterior repair op has failed, it is so frustrating, not to mention the time it takes pre op and post op .

I had a hysterectomy and an anterior repair 3 years ago, my anterior repair failed. Not all together sure why, various reasons:

They pulled on a stitch loosening it when taking catheter out and I heamoraged.

I think I overdone things in early weeks, very little info and did not know about this forum.

During recovery my daughter was on maternity leave with new baby, she already had toddler and I kept lifting toddler, natural reaction when they are about to endanger themselves and daughter busy with baby.

Anyway it was only a mild prolapse so managed to get back to work and did not really cause any problems until last winter, doing too many shifts packing shopping and on my feet too much.

Good news is I had the anterior repair redone along with posterior repair at the beginning of March so now 16 weeks post op, successful repair this time and back at work only doing my contract shifts just now.

I made sure they were careful taking catheter out this time, I did nothing for 1st 2 weeks then only pottered about (light eye level dusting, light meals, and short 5 min walks building up to 2 x20 min by 6 weeks) . No heavy lifting at all this time nothing more than half a litre water up to 1 litre by 6 weeks.

I gave been so careful this time, want this repair to last longer this time. Didn't start heavier household chores till around 8 weeks, as even then just a little, and still resting plenty.

Even now I still don't do full shopping only light things, still only lifting aboug a litre and a half bug cant carry for sny distance. I still sit when ironing. Only hovering one room a day and resting as much as possiable.

Hope this helps,

Take care, and hope you get it all sorted soon,

Phyl x💖

• Posted

Thank you, think I've overdone things in first few weeks but definitely paying for it now! Glad your second op was successful. Just wish I could have it redone straight away, I'm very uncomfortable and the pressure is on my bladder making me want a wee every ten minutes!  Thanks for your advice x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.