Failed colonoscopy/gastroscopy - repeating this week with Sedation

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,

I'm new here.

I’ve been seeing a liver doctor to I had a failed one in Feb so going back at the end of the month but the follow up appt isn’t until august! My appt is on Wednesday. Sadly and very frustratingly it was a complete disaster. The throat spray was absolutely disgusting and left me feeling like I was dribbling everywhere. I totally gagged when they put the camera tube down and couldn’t swallow it and couldn’t breath and panicked. This kept happening and each time it was worse. They tried twice and I was panicking and hyperventilating, I couldn’t help it. I tried so hard to concentrate on something else and to breathe but instinct just took over and I couldn’t help reacting like I did - it felt like I was being attacked. I was crying and shaking.

So I’ll be having sedation this time round on Wednesday, at Hammersmith hospital. I’ve had sedation for a colonoscopy before but it didn’t have any effect - I felt every bit of that test. I’m really worried that it will be the same for the endoscopy and it won’t make any difference and it will be like last time. Can you ask for more/stronger sedation? Has anyone been through this? I know from a bit of reading that some people aren’t even aware of it happening and others don’t notice much. I’m scared to be honest, that it will be just as awful as last time which really was one of the scariest things I’ve done in my life even if it was over relatively quickly. Any helpful thoughts and comments welcome.

x

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Miriam, As I wrote elsewhere, my colonoscopy experience was hell however I have had one or two endoscopies a year since 1998. I have always had sedation (Midazolam) and never had a problem. Sometimes I have a recollection of slight gagging but now I always explain and ask for plenty of the local anaesthetic spray and a small delay, and despite being asked not to fight the sedative, I conjure up strong images to remain as 'conscious' as possible and talk to them until they are just approaching. I don't think they give more sedative but it has a few more seconds to take effect! I can honestly say I have never been troubled and sometimes I have had to have 'banding' of veins in the oesophagus. I definitely would not want it without sedation, though.
  • Posted

Hi Miriam, I've had 2 Endoscopies, 1 was only today actually but i can honestly say they are a piece of cake compared to Colonscopies which i found out today! I was sedated but cannot remember anything about the procedure apart from the throat spray and the sedative going in. You will be fine. I agree that Colonoscopies are painful, mine today literally had me moaning in pain whilst the consultant was doing it, sedative did nothing really for that.
  • Posted

Don't worry Miriam, insist they give a little extra sedation and it will be over before you know it. NOTHING like a Colonoscopy. Good luck and let us know how you get on
  • Posted

Miriam, I have had 2 endoscopies. the 1st under sedation, no problem.

the 2nd, without sedation, terrible gagging, but over very quickly.

• Posted

Thank you so much everyone for your responses, experiences and suggestions. Its all really helpful stuff. As you might have gathered I’m pretty nervous about it. My gag reflex is pretty strong, I even gag sometimes when I’m brushing my teeth. And that was a huge part of the reason for the first endoscopy failing. I’m worried that even with sedation I won’t be able to swallow it and breathe. The doc first time round just kept saying “just breathe, just breathe, its all in your head.” It wasn’t at all just in my head, I physically couldn’t breath which he just didn’t seem to get. I’m rather hoping that I don’t get him again. The nurses and HCA’s were lovely though.

I’m going to give them a ring in the morning and ask to speak to one of the doc’s or nurses if possible to find out a bit more about the sedation and how they do it at Hammersmith.

Thanks everyone - I’ll let you know what they say and how it goes on Wednesday, I wish I could just have it done as a general but I suspect they won’t consider that unless the one with sedation fails…

• Posted

Good Luck Miriam. I do think you'll find, that with the right amount of sedation you won't need to swallow as your muscles should be relaxed enough for the tube to just slide down also it's seemed to be all over in a couple of minutes with me but I did ask for extra sedation
  • Posted

I’ve just spoken to someone, a receptionist I think, at the Endoscopy unit at Hammersmith. I asked about how the sedation works and she said it would be intravenous valium sedation. Is this standard? I can’t remember what they used when I had a colonoscopy only that it didn’t work. She said I could talk to the nurses about it on the day which of course I will… still a bit anxious though. I know it probably seems to most like I’m making a fuss over nothing but my previous experiences really have been awful.
  • Posted

Watch out for the after effect of valium. I had valium sedation on Friday when I had a cardioversion a ten minute procedure.

After it I felt quite alert but when getting off the bed after having a ham sandwich and a cup of tea my legs were like that of a drunk and I staggered around. Even standing I was swaying. Porter pushed me to the exit and we got a taxi home. I had soup and bread. The staggering did not wear off so I thought that I would lie down at 4.45 for an hour before dinner. I waken up and look at the clock and see that it is 11.45. I got up had something to eat and used the computer and read for a while before going back to bed at 2.30 not expecting to sleep.

I slept until 8.45 and still felt unsteady on my legs. That did not happen last time I had sedation for cardioversion. Dr Google tells me that the effect can last for 40 hours. It was well into Sunday before I was walking in a straight line and felt safe to go out.

They did not warn me of the effect except to say not to drive or operate machinery.

• Posted

anyone had a colonoscopy, that weakened the sphincter muscle?

or had anal leakage after the procedure?

the day after my colonoscopy, I went out for lunch, and it all turned into leakage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.