Failed fundoplication. Should I see a different doc?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a hiatal hernia repair with fundoplication 10 months ago (March 2016). BTW I'm a 66 year old female. The reason I had it was for symptoms of pharyngeal laryngeal reflux. I had post nasal drip with constant clearing of my throat, difficulty breathing, sinus congestion, fatigue, never any mucus, no coughing. I knew I had a large hiatal hernia and after suffering for over a year, I decided to do something about it. But the fundoplication didn't work. So I went to ent doc who repaired a deviated septum and did a turbinate reduction. But the symptoms were still there. The ent doc sent me for a barium esophagram and it turns out that I have stenosis at the fundoplication site. I am still suffering a lot with extreme fatigue, sinus congestion, shortness of breath. I've also lost about 35 lbs which I don't miss but the problem is, I am still losing weight. In addition to the stenosis, I am fairly certain I have a bad sinus problem but the ent doc says he fixed the sinuses and he won't even take a look. What should I do - go back to the same gi doc, go back to the same ent doc or see new docs and if so, what kind of doc should I see?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I would get 2 new docs as I've learned this year u have to take charge of your health start with a gastro

• Posted

Sorry to hear of your problems. If your fundoplication has never worked correctly, it seems your surgeon may not have done as good a job as he could.

My own fundo worked brilliantly for a few years until it came loose due to 5 hours violent retching due to norovirus and I had it repaired by an excelent surgeon. My problems had been extra-oesophageal relfux like you - though with the chronic cough.

I would suggest finding the best surgeon skilled it fundoplication revision for a consultation. (In UK, I could suggest one or two but not in US. )

• Posted

This sounds a lot like my story. I am also experiencing sore throat, tongue, mucus loss of voice after fundiplication. Can you please suggest a skilled revision surgeon in the UK. Thankyou
    • Posted

You should have received it. It was sent 5 hours ago just after the above message. Check your messages box (Upper right of this page) .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.