Failed IUD removal

Posted , 2 users are following.

Asking for one of my close friends who is terrified of doctors. She recently underwent an IUD removal which failed. She is now being referred to surgical removal, for which she's awaiting an appointment. She's experienced heavy bleeding and severe cramping ever since the failed removal three days ago. She was told to expect some pain for a little while. She's in pain to the point of being curled up on a sofa crying. This is a woman who I've seen in some seriously bad situations but never stopped. For anyone who's experienced this, what sort of duration did cramping last for? Is this "normal" or not? With two autistic children who don't understand why mummy is unable to do things, I'd just like to be able to reassure her that there's nothing wrong or, if there is, try and get her the help she needs.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Addendum: She is 41 years old, otherwise healthy, light smoker (<10 p/day) and non drinker. Recently had smear, blood tests and scans, no abnormalities. Coil was overdue for removal, likely the cause of the failure. No suggestions from gynae that it was embedded, simply that the IUD strings were unobtainable with non surgical means. 

• Posted

Hey checked for STI's. I have a similar experience when i had my IUD place. They checked for STI said i didn't have any then i had it placed. Apparently i had chlyamida and didn't know it. the IUD pushed it into the uterus and i ended up with sever bleeding and cramping to the point where i ended up in hospital. This is a potential situation that could happen when they use instruments to go get the IUD as well. Have them put you on the antibiotics right away.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.