Failed Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello All,

has anyone has an LIS surgery that did not work? i had LIS 4 months ago and the fissure is still not fully healed. The pain is less than preop but still very uncomfortable at times. im still not able to sit for work. im using the nfediprine ointment and soaking once a day but nothing seems to be getting the fissure to heal fully. At my last exam the doctor said i was 75% there but tonight i had bleeding and pain after a bowel movement. im curious if anyone else has had extended/delay healing and what recommendations (if any) you all have?

Thank you for the help!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had 2 LIS surgeries for my chronic fissure that lasted several years. My first one failed because the CRS didn't cut enough muscle. There was zero improvement/healing.

My second LIS was done by a different CRS and was successful. The fissure and incision were healed after 6 and a half weeks. Though the pain from the scar tissue took several months to heal.

Since your CRS can see improvement and healing, perhaps you just need some more time. Keep being strict with your fissure friendly diet and routine.

My general advise to anyone with fissures (stuff that worked for me):

Do

-wash backside with water and dab until clean every time you poo. (Portable shower spray bidets are under $10 on Amazon or eBay)

-take a stool softener. Magnesium citrate and oxide worked best for me.

-use a stool or box to put your feet on when pooing, makes everything easier when pooing with knees higher

-take sitz baths - helps improve blood flow

-add to your diet: brown rice, pears, flax seeds, apples, kiwis, figs, prunes, berries. Coffee first thing in the morning really helped me too.

-light exercise, walking is best.

-be patient

Don't

-eat white flour foods (or any other foods that constipate you)

-go overboard with fibre and water. Fibre can increase bulk and make constipation worse. Too much water causes loss of electrolytes. Loss of electrolytes causes constipation.

-take laxatives. Laxatives are only for temporary use. You don't want your body to rely on them as it can cause more health problems.

-wipe with dry tissue. Wiping can aggravate the fissure and open it more

-sit down for long periods of time

• Posted

Thank you for your response. I really appreciate the help. I had a CRS appointment last week and he said I am 95% healed. The last few days though I have had hard BM and im in some discomfort . I constantly worry I reopened the fissure or that I am not going to ever heal. Did you have worries like that?

Thank you again for your insight.

• Posted

Hi . the coming Aug-06 will be a month of my surgery. I am still in pain. My problem that looking at the scar and it looked ugly., also I feel a protuberance in the area. I had another surgery 10 years ago and there was no scar at all or bulge. Can you tell me how much time was between the 1st and 2nd surgery. I am thinking that eventually if I need a 2nd surgery should I look for the same Surgeon or find another. Can you share how was your experience with that and also if you have private insurance was it covered. I live in Florida.

Thank you.

• Posted

Hello All.

On Sep-06 I will have 2 months after my surgery. Still pain after bowel movement. I was able to have soft stool all the time but still pain. I am not taking any pain pills because I don' t know if I should take it. My last visit to the Dr. was a month ago and he told me there is no need to make more appointments unless I have problems. I am following Betty's advice about diet and seating long time. I am thinking to see the Dr. and considering now to make an appointment to a different Dr. just to double check and see if I have a failed heal. Can you update on yours. Thank you.

• Posted

i had my surgery 3 months ago. I still have pain after bowel movement. No bleeding.

I am having my stool soft taking nopalina daily before dinner. Eating fruits or salad for lunch.

Somebody told me that the pain in the scar sometimes takes 3-5 months, but should not bleed or itching because that is a sign of the wound not fully closed.

i am considering making an appointment to a different surgeon at the 4 month. He will see If my surgery failed and I need another surgery . Sometimes happens.

For seating I purchased a cushion with a hole in the back side. No donut type. That makes me feel better. I have to take a short walk every 2 hours and at my lunch time I walk 30 minutes. After surgery I worked from home for 30 days.

• Posted

Hi, I had LIS surgery 12 years ago and I can tell you that mine did not work as expected. Prior to having LIS i had hemmorhoids injected (sclerotherapy) and several years later had them banded which was basically the start of all my problems leading to LIS. I now have difficulty having BM's due to all the messing in there over the years and also my hemmorhoids have come back worse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.