Failed Lithotripsy.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello-

Recently had lithotripsy done for a 4mm x 9mm (calcium oxalate) kidney stone. An X-ray was taken before the procedure showed the stone was in the middle of the ureter. Upon waking after the procedure, I was told the doctor pushed the stone back up into the kidney, lithotripsy was performed and the stone had broken up nicely. A stent was also put in place (I'm in America, btw).

I went in for my two week follow up, which included another X-ray, and the stone was back in the same place but "slightly more fractured and a bit narrower". The stone is jammed against the uretal wall and the stent and now I'm getting the occasional bouts of pressure.

Mainly, I'm leery about a second lithotripsy due to potential long term health implications. Plus, I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on another failed procedure.

In the course of researching, it sounds like uteroscopy may only be an option on stones that are 2-4mm in diameter, which I am pushing those limits.

Curious if anyone else has had similar experiences? Short of expressing my concerns, I'm not sure what to do if the doctor recommends lithotripsy again.

Thanks!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hey Cameron,

I had a similar experience.  8mm stone in the ureter. Confirmed by CT Scan and, 10 days before surgery, an x-ray.  Went in for the lithotripsy.  After the doctor said he couldn't find the stone.  He put in a stent.

3 weeks later I had the stent removed at 8am.  By 10am I was in excruciating pain.  Went in at 4pm for a CT Scan which revealed a 1.1cm stone in the ureter. Had another lithotripsy that night and, this time, he got the stone.  Recovering now and feeling much better than I did after the first lithotripsy.

The doctor believes the stone got pushed back into the kidney by a wire or dye infusion during the first procedure and got into a place where he couldn't find it.  He looked for 40 minutes with 2 scopes.  

For me the second operation was a must.  At 1.1cm it is unlikely the stone would have passed.  I'm glad I did it and will be even happier when I remove the stent next week.

Hope this was helpful.

• Posted

I've had three cat scans and two lithotripsies; I still have the stones only they are smaller. My pain is manageable by sitting on a heating pad. I don't take pain killers anymore.  I find it hard to swallow that the pain is all on my left side but the doctor says it is my right kidney.  I had no pain with the first procedure but plenty after the scond and it left a hole in my back and lower abdomen which the doctor would not take responsibility for. If they did something else, I should know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.