Failed Lumbar De-Compression Surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

In June,2015 I had my second Spinal De-Compression Surgery. The Sciatic pain in my right leg has not been resolved however and I'm on Gabapentin for pain relief 3 x 300mg daily

My G.P. has referred me for a Spinal Injection for pain relief and am awaiting an appointment. I've had one prior to my first spinal disc de-compression and it helped.

Anyone experienced similar surgery failure?

Going on holiday in April,2016 and would like to be relieved of this sciatic pain and would like (once again!) to start phasing out carefully this mind bending drug.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Is decompression different from fusion?
    • Posted

Yes it is different to Spinal Disc Fusion, a window is cut into spinal disc and the nerve released which was being trapped - hence Sciatic pain resulting.
  • Posted

Hi George, my 1st. Surgery was done on June 2014 and failed since then I had 5 cortisone injections, not working, I'm taking pain medicine, last I try to end if last year the spinal cord stimulator releif only 50% but let sleep better and probably I will not take no more pain medicine. My procedure will be feb. 2016, for the implant of permanent SCS. Wish the best of luck in your new surgery. God will be with you there, have faith.
  • Posted

Hi Dina Thank you for your news I pray your new permanent teatment will be  a great help,

God willing I'll improve with injections once again

• Posted

Absolutely. It seems that back surgery only stabilizes things and doesn't help with pain. If that shot helps, they'll do it twice and then hopefully they can burn the nerve for long term pain reliefThere are other options too including a Nevro SCS, but I would research that first. Also, if the shot they give you doesn't help, ask them to do an SI Joint injection.  It's different, and may possibly help more.
  • Posted

Hi George:

I have a lower back disk compression surgery but I am not certain if it wer a spinal decompression. It helped for sometime but after a few years it has gotten steadily worse. Now I am in so much pain and even though I hurt every single day, even with pain meds dont help a whole lot. I had 2 epidural spinal injections and only worked for 3 days each time. Since I have peripheral neuropathy as well, a nerve stimulator was put in but doeesnt work on my back. It did help my legs some but the buzzing feling was not steady and always had to readjust it. Everytime I would move a certain wy, sit, stand, go to the bathroom, go to bed, I always had to adjust it. The remote doesnt look like a technology advanced one. It is large, old looking and not the easiest to adjust. It looks like something from the 90s. I am sure there are better ones there. There is another one and is quite new. I dont know much about it but works at a higher fequency so you dont feel the buzz. I was thinking about it as well. I asked my PA at the pain enter and he told me it works on the lower back. That is where my primary pain is. When I walk it hurts, even when I twist, bend, and change position. My legs on the other hand is sore to touch from my ankles upwards to my upper theighs and when I stand, my theighs get numb. I was was on Gabapentin at very high doses and had bad reaction. I am sorry to say that I am unable to give you names of these units or links. But, ask your doctor about the new high frequency unit and search it out on google. I do this all the time and you would be surprised of what you find. Names and everything, I entered new type of spinal stimulators and what I like about google is they can find it easy. You should have no problems with this. Once you find it, check out you tube and review patient videos, I hope this helps and write m what you decide. I would be interested to hear how it work on you. Sorry about the typos as I am writing on a tablet which make errors galore. Take care and feel good.

Mel

• Posted

Hi Mel, the new Neurostimulator is called the Nevro Sensa HF10. It's been in the US since May 2015.

• Posted

Dear Mel

Thank you for the trouble you have taken in your detailed response to my posting.

I must confess I had never heard of a spinal nerve stimulator, you learn something new every day! Is it some kind of implant?

Sorry about your pain, it must be very depressing day after day, I will include you in my prayers for healing.

George

• Posted

George, the newest nerve stimulator is called the Nevro Sensa HF10.  It has only been in the states since May 2015. I would suggest you research it.  I've read some negative reviews in the patient forums. You should ask a pain management doctor - the anesthesiologist kind or a neurosurgeon about it.  I am considering it, but I want to get a 2nd opinion. It's like an internal tens unit without the tingling.
  • Posted

Hi, I'm due for my injections next month. They're cortisone and antstetic injections! I'm already on 55mg oxyNorm ( I've managed to reduce them from 125mg!!! 900mg of Gabbapentin, 16mg diazapam, Baclofen as well as paracetamol and Naproxen! These injections are my last resort after already having my L4/5 removed! I can't use any electrical devices like tens or otherwise as I'm epileptic, so it's a " no go" area for me. I take 400mg of Lamotrogine for this which is also used in back/sciatic problems?!?!? If these injections don't work there's no other remedy for me? I was wondering if anyone had tried these injections and if they worked for them? Also wondering how painful receiving them is lol???
    • Posted

My goodness, I thought I knew about most of the pain meds, but geez, you are on a lot of them.  Are you groggy most of the time, or are you okay? Are you able to walk? So sorry you are going through this.  I found that cortisone shots don't do anything - don't know about the other thing. Cortisone is for inflammation.  Good luck to you!  My heart goes out to you.

• Posted

Hi George, yes my surgery failed and I have been for almost 1 1/2 year with different pain , I had 5 injections of cortisone , and on feb. 16 I will have permanent spinal cord stimulator, righ now I'm taking 400 mg of Gabapentin, 750 mg twice a day of Nabumetone, and 25 mg daily of Amitriptyline, this medicine help to sleep . The spinal cord stimulator will help me50% of the pain. We hope with this procedure no more pain medications. Good luck with your surgery.
    • Posted

Hi Dina,

You may have given me an idea.  My doctor gave me a prescription of amitriptyline to help me relax and sleep and not long after my blood pressure dropped and I had a fainting spell.  So they told me to stop it, but as it turns out that had nothing to do with it.  My blood pressure is still running low - with no explanation - maybe the tizanidine? But I can try th eamitriptyline again.  Thank you.  Maybe that will help me sleep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.