failed op, what next ?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi. I had an op. 3yrs. ago, which failed.  My symptoms are getting worse, & are with me 24/7.  My sleep is very disturbed, because if I wake up I'm unable to get back to sleep because of the spasms. I have " tonus " which makes it difficult for people to understand what I am trying to say. 

I used to walk confidently with my head held high, now I keep my head down - partly due to embarassment & partly because people  think I am winking at them. ( I keep walking past friends.)  I do a lot of walking & my smile/hello has become a grimace.

I had botox before the op. but that didn't work.

I read that magnesium tablets can help, I do take those for restless legs so increased my dose from 250mg to 500mg.  but after only a few days I had stomach pain & bloating. ( I have to be careful as I have diverticular disease )

I have also just read that a Chiropactor may be able to help me, has anyone had any luck going down that avenue ?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Our stories sound very similar. The only relief I get at night is sleeping on my right side. The size of my pillow made a difference as well. Out of desperation, I tried chiropractic care. I found stimulation made it worse so my chiropractic tried hands-free adjustment. He focused on my left side just under my earlobe. It did give me some relief but only for a day or two. I'm no longer under his care. I also read a post about magnesium supplement. I think I will try it.

• Posted

I have right hemifacial spasm following a stroke in December and a lot of stress.After two treatments with a cranial osteopath it got much worse then suddenly improved and after ten days I have just a slight tic under my right eye. Before it affected the whole of the right side of my face. It might be worth a try.

Jenny 

• Posted

You would think , wouldn't you that being in bed, quiet, stress free, comfortable, that the symptoms would have a rest, but it's not so is it.  I don't know if you are like me, my mind is never still & I do have some weird dreams. I'ts possible I suppose that if your mind is not at rest neither are the symptoms. Does that sound daft ?

• Posted

It might well be worth a try.  I hope your symptoms continue to improve.  I would be interested to know if it is a long term improvement.

Jean

• Posted

When suffering with HFS, anything is worth a try.
    • Posted

My HFS do wake me at night. My mind is always on the go but so am I :-). Here's something interesting...My symptoms began about 2 1/2 years ago. I'm 55. Back in February I jet set to Ft. Lauderdale, FL to Sailing School for certifications. Upon arrival, I had dinner with the other 2 students. Out of curiosity, they asked why my face was spasming, as does everyone else. During the 6 days off shore in the Gulfstream I was symptom free. I asked if anyone noticed my face spasmsing, they said no, not at all. This was a bit stressful having to earn 3 certifications in just 6 days. Sleep time was my book work study time. I do live on my sailboat and getting ready to set sail. Heading to the Caribbean. Will be interesting to know if being in a different location on the globe will make a difference:-)

• Posted

Yes, that would be interesting to know.  There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to what is causing the spasms, we are told to try & avoid stress, but even when stress free I am still spasming.  A few nights ago I had a prolonged spasm - about 15 min's - from my jaw line to the top of my head,  I was really frightened.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.