Failed partial knee replacement

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a PKR 7 months ago and went for my check up yesterday. Unfortunately my x ray shows subsidence and I now have to get a TKR asap. I know surgery is not always a success but I am so disappointed as I feel I've wasted 7 months to go through pain and recovery all over again. I wish I'd had a TKR in the first place but the surgeon didn't think it was necessary. I have heard of a number of unsuccessful PKRs and wonder how many actually have worked out okay.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi i had a partial 8 month ago i dont think its worked still in pain what were your symptoms if u dont mind me asking

• Posted

hi, I was having lots of pain in my leg in general especially behind it like sciatica. Part of the knee is still numb but it can feel tender around it. when sitting down it would ache still and it was painful even in bed at night.

• Posted

That's miserable for you. I am sorry that you have to go through more surgery so soon. I only know of a handful who have had a PKR and success does seem to be hit and miss.

• Edited

hi so sorry to hear this x the same thing happened to me and im now 8 months post op TKR X its gonna take longer to recover just keep on top of pain and stiffness n keep moving x im having loads of physio now after it stiffened up n hopefully it will resolve the last niggly issues i have x hope your ok x keep your chin up love

• Posted

Hi ! I had partial 3 1/2 years ago. It took me about good year to feel fully recovered. I do however still have to be careful not to over do it as far as activity and such. If I do to much it will still swell up.

I was a runner , obviously not running with the new knee so I walk alot. If I go over a certain amout of steps it will swell. Or if I do alot of lifting heavy objects it may swell. When this happens I just back off, ice if needed and wait for the swelling to go away.

I don't know if a total knee would have behaved similiar or not. My guess is probably not. But for me and my life style , as busy as I am , and the fact that the surgeon said it was the best option , I went with the partial. I was back to work in 3 weeks and driving .

Hoping I will not need a total ever which is another reason I am careful on activities. ( not hiking, running, tennis etc. )

And I am able to get up and down off the floor with my grandkids which I could not before. Oh and I can do stairs which I could not before. I am 60 years. old.

Maybe you are over doing your activities? Just a thought.

Take care . I would not want to go through the surgery again but if you have to you have to. Think on the positive side 😃

Debbie

• Posted

Thanks for your reply but I have never been able to get on the floor since the op and have done everything by the book so I think it's just bad luck in my case. There seems to be no choice but to have the total done now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.