Failed prolapse surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi! wondering if anyone has had a failed bladder prolapse surgery? I had an anterior repair surgery Dec 2017.I was off work for 12 weeks and my urologist did not want to release me at that time but due to insurance and fear of losing my job because it was no longer protected under FMLA I went back(alot of very heavy lifting)3 months later I did find a new job,no lifting at all but alot of time on my feet.Just curious if you have had to have it done again,was it done the sane way?

Thanks!

Angel

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

I had bladder and bowel prolapse surgery in March last year and last week went to my gyno who told me that the stitches didn't work and has now referred me to a urogyno for possibly more surgery.

I was lucky with my first surgery as i had no pain at all. Bit concerned about the new surgery though

• Posted

Im so sorry to hear that.I had a hysterectomy in 1999,so theres nothing there to help hold my bladder up which doesnt help.I had quite a bit of pain but I also have IC so my bladder doesn't like to be messed with.When do you see urogyn?

• Posted

I had bladder prolapse surgery February 2018. They fixed an enterocele and rectocele at the same time. the cystocele repair failed within 8 weeks, but the others held pretty well. I went to another urogynecologist about 2 months ago. He said that when you have a failure within a year it suggests weak ligaments. in that case the solution is either use of a pessary or surgery with mesh, which i refuse to do.

• Posted

Are you in the USA? My urologist was saying the mesh has all been recalled and cannot be used? Mine seemed totally fine til I went back to all the lifting(which was her fear)Im just wondering if it would work this time around since I dont lift now

• Posted

im in the US, and i believe there is now a ban of vaginal mesh except for extraordinary cases.

• Posted

Hi Angel,

If your pelvic floor fails it is due to weak ligaments and even after repair surgery the ligaments are still weak therefore if you continue to lift heavy things and spend long periods on your feet it will just fail again.

I had to completely change my lifestyle and even though I do my pelvic floor exercises daily I still have to always be careful.

No gardening ever again or anything heavy; you learn what your body can cope with and what your limitations are and don't do anything that caused your pelvic floor to fail previously.

Once your ligaments start to fail you have to be careful.

Take care,

Its your long term health that matters x

• Posted

Thank you so much for the reply! Do you stick to like a 10 lb weight restriction?

• Posted

hello angel

I had a failed anterior in 2016 which only lasted weeks.. I did absolutely nothing to make this happen but it didn't last.

I had it redone 2 yrs later with a t h as my uterus dropped during that time.

I refuse to lift anything other than light washing and gentle mopping.

not sure how I'd manage without a husband to do ut for me lol. ladies how do you cope lol without a man lol.

I'm otherwise fit and well,slim and early menopause at age 45. I am now 51.

I would not be lifting anything that's heavier than 2 pints if milk as its left me paranoid.

I do have a grade 1 rectocele which I will want fixed at some point.

these repairs have no guarantees which scares me. I recover so well after tvh and anterior repair and hope the rectocele is the same.

I know how you feel.xx

• Posted

Hi Angel,

My limit is around 1 litre of milk, I can lift more (2 litre) as long as I use both hands to support the weight and lift from above my hip holding the weight into my chest so that my upper body takes the weight.

I cant lift things like, cases of water, soft drinks, beer or bags of cat litter. I Can roll things like bags of potatoes; can lift smaller bags but not the larger heavier ones.

Cannot lift holiday cases, even rolling the 15kg with wheels is too much on rough ground or up and down pavements.

My husband has to do all the lifting and shopping, I can do a few lightweight things like bread, teabags and the likes in a back pack.

Its really trial and error till you find what you can personnally cope with.

Good luck and take care x

• Posted

Thank you for the reply! I guess maybe from reading these perhaps I have just been doing to much.I am thinking of doing it again in Dec so I dont have to pay such a big amount of money due to a new deductible year.I will def have to be more careful

• Posted

Thank you so much! yes,I have def been way overdoing it.My 2 yr old granddaughter is quite the grammies girl,shes 34 lbs and I lift her up and carry her all the time.My husband is amazing but he works alot so Im also always carrying the laundry up and down the stairs

• Posted

hi phyl

I was wondering if yiu still take vagifem and if do how long have you been on it.

I'm still paranoid phyl to the point I'm going to start using legal 8 ultra for my kegals.im afraid I'm not doing enough and if I'm doing them right.

my physio says I am lifting correctly but it's my mind telling me otherwise.

this surgery really messes with yiur head doesnt it.

hope you well my friendxx

• Posted

hi there ive had a failed anterior repair which was done june 2018. ive had it redone the same way and am 7 week post op. i still have a bulge and heavy feeling so am not sure if its failed again.

its difficult to tell if youre doing too much. Im 42 with two primary school aged children and mostly on my own with them so its hard to limit household stuff and time on feet. im not back at work yet but will have to limit time on feet too as it seems to make the uncomfortable feeling much worse.

• Posted

ohh hun I know your worry. it happened to me nearly 2 yrs ago after just a few weeks.

I had it done last year with tvh as my uterus dropped and I'm 51 post menopause.

I still worry it will drop again.. well I know these ops are not forever so I'm not sure what I expect really lol but a bit more shelf life that's fir sure.

I have ordered innovo shorts so I know myself I'm doing all I can to get a strong pelvic floor and doing them ourselves us not way enough.

will you have the op done again

• Posted

hi welshgirl.

rhanks for youre reply comforting to know its not just me. Im not sure if id have it done again- dont know if they would attempt a third time! not sure what can be done if it fails again. what are the shorts you are talking about and are they helpful??

thanks, lindsay x

• Posted

innovo shorts..check the website. they are expensive but they take the guess work out of kegals and completely strength the pelvic basket without us worrying if we do them right. they are cycle shirts with electrodes in them which are placed around the points to contract our muscles. 5 days 3p minutes fir 12 weeks then 2 to 3 times a week after that.

with me it will mentally give me strength to know I'm going all I CSN to strengthen my repair and just pray its holds up .

• Posted

yiu are still very early in in your recovery I think so it may be just settling.

• Posted

Thanks, Ive just had a quick look at the website re innovo shorts- looks good. although it seems to focus mainly on incontinence of which i dont gave any issues with. but if its strengthening pelvic floor can only be helpful. can you post how you get on with them?? thanks x

• Posted

yes I will. I dont have leakage but if our pelvic floor is strong it will help lift our organs and we wont suffer incontinence later on in life which is imminent if we have had hysterectomy and repairs.

menopause can bring it on unfortunately. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.