Failed rectocele repair. Has anyone had second surgery?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anybody had to have surgery for the second time?

I am 2 years post rectocele repair and I know that it has failed now. I am having the same issues with going to the toilet as I had before and I feel uncomfortable and like there is pressure

I cant live like this again but the thought of going through that surgery again just fills me with dread. I am only 34

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

was the first done with a mesh or with skin tissue. How long did you wanted to have sex after your surgery? Using mesh for your repair is not a long success. The say after eight weeks you can become sexually active again. I suggest women such wait up to six months.

• Posted

it was first done with skin tissue, no mesh. I waited months before sex, so i dont think it was that I have a disabled child and sometimes I have had no choice but to lift her, and i think it may be down to that

• Posted

Yes, my repair failed within weeks. That was three years ago. If I had known then what I know now I would never have had it done. It also caused nerve damage, which I was not warned was a possibility. I have now found a way to manage it quite successfully. Told by a colorectal surgeon to take laxido and magnesium tablets, one of each every single day. It means I have a successful bm every day, sometimes more than one,and works for me, keeps the feeling of pressure at bay, and the fissure that was so painful and bled a lot has healed. The magnesium tablets I take are Solgar, on amazon, 500mg. The laxido is sometimes known as movicol or miralax, and in sachets.Takes about three days to get into the system.

• Posted

I had rectocele/cystocele repair and a bladder sling done in March '18; was confirmed last month that the rectocele is back - now graded as a "large" one. I also had pudendal and obturator nerve damage from the surgery. Not sure what to do now - they are taking my case to an academic board that is made up of uro-gyns and colorectal surgeons to determine best path forward. Very discouraging as the sx associated with this are very difficult in so many ways. Has a BIG impact on physical and psychosocial health.

I'm sorry you are going through a failed repair, too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.