Failed reduction.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi.,

A year ago I was on Venlafaxine 225mg and Mirtazipine 45mg. I'd been on these meds for 10-15yrs. I tried coming off the Mirtazipine but only achieved a reduction to 7.5mg because of insomnia. So then I tried reducing the Venlafaxine. I take the Vensir XL, which are capsules containing small pelletts 12.5mg per pellet. I reduced by one pellet per month, managing to get down to 87.5mg. When I further reduced to 75mg I "hit a wall". My GP has recommended i go back up to 150mg and try again at a later date.

Does anyone else have similar experiences or advice?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Did you have insomnia prior to taking mirtazapine ?
    • Posted

So on 7.5 you can still sleep ?

I am also on 150 of ven and 45 of mirt. How was the taper down on the mirt and is the only withdrawal symptom under 7.5 insomnia. I plan to taper soon. I did not have insomnia prior to taking mirt am on it for anxiety and depression but i think the ven deals with that.

• Posted

The advice I found on this site was 10% reduction at a time. With the Mirtazipine I followed this until I got to 7.5mg then I halved and halved then stopped. I was getting such poor sleep I tried 3.75mg but really only got good sleep with 7.5mg so I stayed at that. With the Venlafaxine 225mg I reduced by 12.5mg each month I was doing well and got down to 87.5mg without issue. When I went to 75mg things started to unravel. So now my GP advises I go back up to 150mg.
    • Posted

I plan a 10% reduction every 4 weeks. I live in the uk and it is very hard to get liquid mirtazapine. Can i ask how did you do the reductions as the tablets do not allow for it ?

Did you get withdrawal symptoms at that taper prior to getting under 7.5 ?

• Posted

My prescription was 15mg and 30mg so working on the 10% rule it would be 4.5mg deduction. But that would be awkward so I did 3.75mg reduction which is 1/4 of a 15mg tablet. It's worth buying a pill cutter as the blade is very sharp and the cuttings won't fly everywhere. The divisions aren't entirely accurate but it works.

• Posted

Given that the recommended reduction rate for coming off without suffering is 10% of the pervious month's dosage per month, you are now at 150 mg so when ready, the first month you could drop by one pellet, maybe even for three weeks.  Then, the next cut would be 10% of 137.5 mg.  Again, drop by a pellet for a few weeks.  Now you'd be at 125 mg.  Drop by one pellet, perfect 10%.  Now you are at 112.5 mg.  The next drop of 12.5 mg, definitely wait a month.  The next 12.5 mg cut is greater than 10% so I would hold longer than four weeks, maybe five.  That takes you to 100 mg.  By the time 12.5 mg drops you by 20%, I'd hold for two months until the next drop.  If you were able to make the 10% cuts, It would take 11 months to get to 47 mg with this method so as your cuts get bigger than 10%, stretch out the time between cuts such that you reach 50 mg in 11 months.  Everyone says "this way takes too long" but guess what?  You are more likely to succeed!  The nervous system has to adapt to every cut, getting used to operating with a little less drug, and if your cutting overtakes your healing rate, you're going to crash again! Take it from me as I've been there done that!  I crashed after a too fast taper, reinstated, and have successfully gotten down to 8.5 mg without the wheels coming off the bus!

• Posted

I will add that I had been on Effexor for 12 years and antidepressants in total 20 years when I tried to come off; you can't expect your brain to snap to in a few months of tapering when it has been steeped in these drugs for so long :-)  You have to grow a new brain, essentially, and that takes time.  So, be kind to yourself and go easy!

• Posted

Thank you for this Betsy.

The mistake I made was to reduce the reductions when I got down to the lower doses. I think I was doing so well that i forgot to be careful.

At the moment I'm back up to150mg. I feel really low. This could be the effects of the recent reductions or the effects of increasing or I'm just going through a bad patch. Who knows.

I've taken meds for 20yrs and I'm fed up of being depressed.

Thank you again.

• Posted

Typing error:

I mean I did not reduce the reductions to maintain 10% reductions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.