Failed Spinal fusion. Long term use of Tramadol

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a failed spinal fusion last September. Each month the pain is increased. The only way I make it through each day with tolerable pain management without feeling the horrible effects of strong pain meds is to take Tramadol. Is Tramadol safe for long term use? Does anyone else get pain relief from this medication?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bethel,

I know exactly how you feel, I've had two failed spinal fusions, the last one was done on 10th November 2016! I also take Tramadol but I reduced the dosage after my last fusion because I felt so great! I suppose I could up the dosage again but I want to get off all the meds I take! I'm starting on a new thing, for me anyway, and that's Turmeric. I've tried the capsules and they don't work for me but yet loads of people get relief with them. I'm going on to Golden Paste and as soon as it arrives I will be straight into it. There are differing points of view about the Paste but the largest percentage is for the Paste. The glowing reports are unbelievable, both for adults and for animals.

If you're interested I can let you know how I get on but maybe you have already about it and the wonderful results from it! 

Linda

• Posted

Should read - but maybe you have already heard about it.

By the way what is your dosage for Tramadol?

Linda 😄

• Posted

I went off of morphine after 20 years of heavy opoids. I think my body just got to where I needed more to get relief. I don't hurt any worse without them..However, after 3 months I still have residual withdrawal symptoms like runny nose and muscle twitching in legs sometimes. Runny nose is worse. I had the SCS trial and regret it terrible. BUT I was 61 and a had new PM doctor who just ,as I recently found, out was fairly new the the implants. I did implant to go off meds but would've stayed on them had I known the real true consequences. Some people are in such excruciating pain they have no choice but try it, and maybe that is you. I am just saying for me if I had been told earlier to seek everything else before this route instead of what I read "this should be alternative to pain meds"? I would have chose to stay on meds! (My neurologist was leaving and referred me there 8 months before he announced it.) Tramadol never helped me, only the heavy stuff like morphine. Methadone helped but caused side effects like he'd .usclez. Wish you the best ..

• Posted

Tramadol, while technically an opioid narcotic, is a very weak one...but still a Class 4 narcotic with attendant side effects and addiction warnings.  Some people get some pain relief...others not...all very individual.  Longe-term?  I doubt you'd want to do that or even if it's recommended.  How about a fusion revision to fix the problem permanently?  I've had three very successful spine ops: laminectomy L4/L5, TLIF fusion L3 through S1 and an LLIF (lateral) fusion at L2/L3.  Everything is fine...you should be too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.