Failed stapedectomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Some of you may have read my earlier posts detailing my stapedectomy op and recovery from October this year. Well yesterday I went back for a hearing test and to see the consultant who told me that the test shows a zero result, no hearing improvement and in fact the hearing has now deteriorated! I am disappointed to say the least, and when I asked the consultant if this had happened before he replied that I was the first to show this result.

As always you come away from these appointments wishing that you had asked a dozen more questions and now I have been discharged and really dont know what to do next. Has this happened to anyone else? Also what is more disconcerting is that I am still left with a slight inbalance which is unsettling, the consultant assures me this will continue to improve over time.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I'm sorry the stapedectomy didn't work out for u. i just signed up here because my dad has hearing loss in both ears and even tho he has hearing aids for both ears he never wears them! he says that they don't work. i just think he's extremely lazy. i hate to say that about my dad, but its true. nobody EVER comes in the living room because of the EXTREMELY LOUD tv, not even for one minute! my mom and my nephew both stay in their separate rooms watching their own tv's, only i stay in here with him. but its getting very difficult for me! my blood pressure skyrockets to the point i can actually feel it. To make matters worse, he has it so loud that his dog is almost deaf now. He doesn't care, NOT EVEN ONE BIT, about anybody else. its the truth. he doesn't even turn the tv off (or even down a little) when he leaves or when he's on Facebook (which is ALL THE TIME). I just can't believe anybody can be that selfish! Im going thru a very difficult time right now financially, so my 2 cats and i live here temporarily and im very worried that this may damage their ears or make them miserable. i can always wear ear plugs, but they cant! im quite sure tbe hearing ait he has now r not the first, so why would anybody lie about them not working? r they uncomfortable? why does he not want to wear them? please help!! maybe if i get educated on this i can be more understanding of it! Thanks)

• Posted

Hi Andrea.

I was looking for Stapedectomy posts like this because I am also someone that is regretting this Stapedectomy. I'm very sorry that the procedure did not work for you. Did you seek a second opinion? Can you redo the surgery?

It's been three years for me, and the procedure did fix my hearing. It is deemed a successful operation and I have been thrown into the percentage of folks that it has helped. Yay for the doctor's track record. But honestly, it has opened up a whole new set of issues. Tinnitus was the first one. I still have ringing to this day. "It will go away", they said. It took about a year for another doctor to tell me it's caused by TMJ and that it could have possibly been aggravated when they put the tube down my throat for the surgery. My jaw has always clicked and I believe this is a possibility because when I move my jaw, the sound changes. So I went to jaw therapy for 12 sessions. It didn't help. I might try acupuncture next. Either way I blame the surgery.

I also still deal with constant lightheadedness and dizziness. It comes and goes but for the past 3 months it seems to be the new norm. So I go to another ENT. He orders a CT scan to see what the piston is doing. But after the CT scan he said he couldn't see the piston because it must be made a plastic. (Duh, thanks for looking into what it was made of first. I didn't even think about it, but it's not my job. I'm not the doctor, right?) What a waste of time and $. Then I'm told that I need a Fistula test. Because the piston could have poked a hole and this test will tell us if it did or not. Great! Ok. So if it did, I'll need surgery again? Awesome. Not to mention, if that ear gets operated on again, I could lose the hearing in that ear altogether.

So I'm super frustrated. I'm really reallly really hoping this dizziness is allergies or something that has nothing to do with my Stapedectomy. So I also requested an allergy test. I have some reason to believe it could just be inflammation caused by this. I hope at least.

So are you still dizzy or feeling better? Can you explain your dizzy sensations?

Mine are all over the board. Sometimes when I'm sitting, I feel like my seat is moving. Sometimes when I'm laying down, I feel like I'm on a boat. Sometimes I think when I'm moving, my head is one step behind my body. Sometimes when I'm working on the computer or looking at the TV, I feel like everything moves for a split second.

So odd. Most of time I just feel like I'm floating. I am just grateful that I'm not falling over or nauseous.

l.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.