Failed Stapedectomy - What did they do for you before surgery?

Posted , 1 user is following.

I had a stapedectomy that failed. My hearing wasn't all that bad. I had 96% word recognition and after I now have 1%. It was a total failure. My referring Audiologist sent audio info to the ENT but he actually never saw my hearing test - the hard copy. I went to this ENT after talking to the audiologist if I had osteoporosis and he did the weber test and said you "might" and I can refer you to this Dr to discuss more but I didn't need a hearing aid or anything. I am 60 and was turning the TV up a bit and suffer with a history of menieeres and thought it would be good to get my hearing tested. So why not, plus my my sister had this procedure done 20 years ago and I was inquiring about it more than thinking, do I need it long term to help me with hearing as I age? Long story short. I learned that my ENT never saw my actual audio test until AFTER surgery when he discovered the surgery failed. On top of that, before surgery, the last hearing test I had was that one from the referring audiologist that was 5 months old and again was an audio report to this ENT. This ENT never did a hearing exam on me or any other test except the weber test. You know the test with the wand tool next to your ear to say I have osteoporosis just like the other audiologist but that is all he did on me to determine I was a candidate. I am curious, is this normal protocol? Is that all they have to do to comfirm you are a candidate? Why didn't my ENT have or see perhaps my hearing wasn't all that bad with 96% word recognition. Plus there is more: When the procedure was over, every time I turned my hear I kept hearing a "wang wang" sound in my head. Drove me crazy, Horrible and noise in my ear was hurting. At 2 weeks, he took out my packing and said to just go home and get use to my new normal. I ended up 3 months later suffering with this horrible sound, another ENT learning that the staple was loose and causing this sound in my head. I had to have a revision. It was the worse experience and it wasn't until I was 8 weeks I got my first hearing test from this ENT too and that was after surgery to learn I lost all my hearing and I can't deficer where sound comes from either. Again, is this normal for an ENT? Is this how they go about doing stapedectomy? How did they test you? I now have a bone bridge and now looking at a Coclear implant. I have full blown tinnitus and suffer everyday, emotionally and physically. Just wondering what is the protocol before having this surgery? Was a 5 month old hearing test a bit too old? Is a weber test good enough to say you are a candidate? I have read that if you have menieres like I do that it also has a higher failure rate. My referring Dr mention this in his notes but what good is that if he doesn't read it or seem it until after my surgery is over but what did the audio say? Thanks for your time.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.