Failed suicide

Posted , 5 users are following.

I attempted suicide some weeks ago due to relationship and debt problems. My crisis team doctor has prescribed me metazapine does it work cause I keep having thoughts of harming myself.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I have been on mirtzapine 30nf for 6 months when I was very low and it didn't help me at all so from personal experience no it don't work but why not try it ... Might work for you how long you been taking it for ?

Thoughts of harming urself can happen at first

• Posted

Hi nigel2405. Just happened to see this. I know someone who has a debt problem (actually it seems fairly normal for a lot of people in today's society), and they were advised by the citizens advice bureau to apply for an IVA. Look it up or go to your local CAB to get advice.

I don't know anything about the drugs you are talking about so have no comment to make re that. Your relationship problems are also I cannot comment on.

However, I am sure that if you can sort your financial situation out you will feel more able to cope and see some light.

Very best wishes.

• Posted

Hi ,

you are not the only one with relationship and debt problems. I reckon about half the country is in the same situation. Sorry to hear you feel bad enough to kill yourself. Surely death is not the answer. I sympathise and hope the meds help you to feel better

all the best

Richard

• Posted

Hi Nigel

i have been taking mirtazapine for 10 weeks now. After a few weeks of taking it i still had thoughts of harming myself and walked myself to A&E with suicidal thoughts.

It can take some time to start feeling better in yourself and ask someone to keep an eye on you encase you start to feel worse in the beginning. I stuck with them and have started to feel much better.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Thanks for your responses I have been taking metazapine for 2 weeks prior to that I was on citalphram and diazepam. I am not in a good place at the moment but I do have a dear friend looking after me
  • Posted

One thing you find when you have mental health issues. Just really who your friends are

• Posted

Hi Nigel !

I am so sorry to hear how desperately low you are feeling . Its a horrible place to be in . Im there too though not for the same reasons .

I was on Mirtazepine at a high dose of 60mg daily and had been on it for many years until about a year ago . Did it work - I don't really honestly know . I made a serious suicide attempt when I was on them and having survived for many reasons I don't fully understand I stopped taking them . I think one main reason was that my psychiatrist kept telling me I wasn't depressed and shouldn't be on any medication . Its really crazy but part of me wanted to show him he was wrong and that without medication I would go downhill very quickly and another part of me wanted to please him by successfully withdrawing and I thought Id gain a sense of achievement that way

A year down the line I still wake up every morning and want to die .I don't live I simply exist for the sake of my kids but its a real struggle . I never thought my mood could get any lower but it seems like a bottomless pit .

If I think back to the years I was taking Mirtazepine , even though my mood still got very low it wasn't anything as bad as this and I seemed to have the ability to come through severely depressed periods . So did it cure my depression - I don't think so but it possibly made it a lot easier to manage .

Another reason I think I stopped taking it was that I thought I might lose weight . I know that probably sounds ridiculous but I suffered from severe anorexia for 15 years and an eating disorder never truly goes away . Your body may look as if its recovered but your mind never does . You learn to live with it but it often flares up when Im feeling depressed - maybe its because my mind tells me the only thing that makes me feel good is losing weight .

Anyway out of sheer desperation with no one listening to me or taking any notice when I tell them my mood keeps dropping and dropping I have begged to be allowed to try Mirtazepine again . The psychiatrist reluctantly started me on a very low dose this week . I know it can take a few weeks to get into your system and that you may feel worse before you feel better . I don't know if its going to make any difference . In fact I know that a dose of 15mg isn't going to help when I used to take 60mg but Im hoping the psychiatrist will gradually increase it as Ill try anything right now to feel better .

I keep being told medication isn't the answer to my problems . Ive had a brief period of psychotherapy which has helped in some ways but not lifted this dark cloud hanging over me but that's now over . I think maybe a combination of medication and psychotherapy is best but Im being offered no more help or support .

Who knows if this will help . I know a lot of people on this site have strong views against taking antidepressants . They may be right but I guess it depends how desperate you feel . I have nothing to lose .

Im so sorry for going on like this . All I really wanted to say was that like most people on this site I know what it feels like to be suicidal . You are not alone .

• Posted

Thanks just me.

I believe that the medication does help me however I do still feel like the bottom has fell out of my world. Before the onset of my depression I was a fit and healthy guy regular exercise and good social life now after the onset of my depression and my failed suicide I fell that each day is a real serious effort to get by.

I am being cared for by a good friend who now has to lock away any access able item that I can do harm to myself the thing that keeps me going (though only just are my kids) though my ex wife is doing a dam good job to ruin that,sorry I digress thank you for your comment keep safe

• Posted

Nigel, if you've not phoned the Samaritans yet please do so now. They are expert in helping everyone with your problems and more.
  • Posted

Hi jaguar

I did phone them before my suicide attempt must have got a trainee because they were not very helpful. However I will not dismiss them should I feel the need to call them I will, I do have a couple of support networks in place that are sort of helpful

• Posted

Your experience, Nigel, is unthinkable. They never let trainees work alone. I suggest that you phone them again to report your concerns and ensure your name is on their records so that should you need them again they will have details on file. Phone conversations are recorded to aid training and to follow up anything like your experience.
  • Posted

I may have been a little sarcastic in my response. I will call them again however when I made my suicide attempt I did not find the person I spoke to helped me in anyway what so ever but I will not dismiss them

I really do not want to crowd myself with various organisations at this moment as it makes me more anxious and confused .

• Posted

Quite right not to have a lot of people/organisations to deal with as the variety of responses can be confusing. Therefore keep close to your GP, keep a written record of how you feel from day to day to report to your GP and for those bad feelings use one organisation. I recommend the Samaritans as the only wellknown support for your problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.