Failed surgery re-operation?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had both my feet operated for bunions. The left foot, which was 'under-corrected' returned to full bunion look after a few months along with sharp pains, discomfort and aching. This foot went back to an 'E' fitting. The right foot was 'over corrected' and feels and looks great, I have gone down a shoe size and it's a standard width fitting of 'D'. The surgeon reviewing the failed foot originally said he would re-operate but now does not want to do so. He says it could become stiff and worse than before and that he has removed the bunion so I shouldn't be feeling any pain, and that it's only a cosmetic thing. I don't understand his reasoning as the left foot looks just as bad as it did before surgery along with pain. Has anyone had their feet re-operated on and corrected and were you in a worse state due to toe stiffness or anything else?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am so sorry to hear that. I wish I had left my problems as they where. At the very least I would be able to wear a shoe on my foot without having to get them special made. I will never recommend the dr that done my surgery and he will not be the one that will remove the pin that's working out of my toe.

• Posted

I am so sorry to hear that. I wish I had left my problems as they where. At the very least I would be able to wear a shoe on my foot without having to get them special made. I will never recommend the dr that done my surgery and he will not be the one that will remove the pin that's working out of my toe.

• Posted

From looking at comments on this Forum Trish, it seems like there are a lot of failures and the respective surgeons don't seem to be bothered. I am going for another review this afternoon but think he is trying to fob me off with an injection for arthritis! Good luck with everything.

• Posted

Hi. Sorry you have had these problems. I had my bunion op 3 years ago and it was a complete failure from day 1. I had been told my big toe could not be put totally straight or I would have a big gap between it and my sloping toes. However, I did not have a gap at all as the bunion shape was still there. Worse still, it had pushed my little toe over and that was giving me more pain than the bunion in my shoes. I ended up spending 2 years having special shoes made by Orthotics at the hospital but nothing helped. It was a Podiatrist who did my op at our local small hospital. When I said my bunion hadn't changed they said I could have a bunion op on my little toe, or more drastically, have it amputated!!

I then went to see an orthopaedic surgeon who had done a bunion op on my daughter which was a great success and yesterday I had a fusion op. My foot is all bandaged but I can see a gap in my toes now so I hope my foot will be much better. I can weight bear from day 1 this time, whereas I couldn't before so that is much better as I am 79 years old. I had trouble with crutches last time so I have bought a knee scooter from eBay but won't really need it now I can weight bear

• Posted

Thanks V for telling us your bunion story. I can't believe you've gone through all that and then been told you could have your little toe amputated by that loon of a podiatrist! What planet was he on!!!!!! I am in the UK and they don't let podiatrists do operations. I am fingers crossed for you that the operation by the proper surgeon has worked. I saw my previous surgeon for a follow up yesterday and he has relented and said he would do a correction op after all. The current x-rays show the right foot looks perfect but the left foot has such a wide 'v' shape of the two toe bones making the usual bunion shape just like it was before the original op. I will leave my original post on just in case anyone can tell me how they got on with a second corrective op. Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.