Failed tooth extraction advice

Posted , 3 users are following.

i have a cavity in my last back molar (not wisdom) which the dentist advised root canal or extraction for as i kept getting infections.

i was booked in for the extraction on thursday last week. As im highly anxious she recommended me to get some anti anxiety meds to take before hand as ideally i wanted to be put under general but the wait was 3-6 month for referal. So i was having the extraction under local anastetic instead.

Thursday came and i took the anti anxiety, had the local injections no problem hit the diazepam wasnt helping enough to keep me calm and i had a series of pnic attack whilst she was trying to extact the tooth. She managed to remove tiny segments as the tooth was just breaking when she was trying to do the extraction, less than half way through she decided she wouldnt be able to carry out the procidure as i was just too anxious and said she will put me on an emergency referal to get it removed at the hospital under general. SO she used the drill to remove as much of the decay as she could (didnt feel a thing at this point as she doubled my injections as i was in so much pain) and then used a temporary paste filling to close the hole to stop food getting stuck and lower risk of infection whilst i wait for full extraction.

well, its now saturday, ive follwed everything she said- no biting on it/eating on that side, living off of soup and yogurt and mashed potatoe no problem. HOWEVER the filling has cracked and some has come away, and now the rest is lose and i think will fall out pretty soon. my only explaination is i grind my teeth when i sleep hence the crack.. im booked in for monday but im not sure what she plans to do to solve this and im wondering if shed be able to put a permanent filling in its place, so i have no risk of a temp one breaking again.. just to tire me over until the tooth is removed? . i currently have no pain but im not sure if that will be the case when and if the remaining filling falls out before monday. previously i had to take 3 courses of anti biotics as the infection caused by the tooth would not go away so im worried if she teplaced the temp filling with another temp one and it cracks again then i might be at a higher chance of infection. so does anyone know if it is possible/likely that she would give me a permanent filling for now untill the tooth is removed completely? we are not sure how long i have to wait for extraction and i dont think temp fillings are going to hold up bevausr its just paste and easily cracks with my teeth grinding...

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

If it was me I would ask your dentist to extract the rest of the tooth under local anaesthetic. I have had 14 teeth out and have felt nothing. Yes everyone gets nervous but it's just something you have to do. steel yourself be strong and think of how much better you will feel once the nasty tooth has gone. I wouldn't be messing about with temporary fillings you are just delaying the inevitable. just bite the bullet and get that tooth out asap

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.