Failing/failed hip arthroscopy at 4 months: what are my options now?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had a hip arthroscopy to correct FAI with laberal tears in early September and for the first few months I made much slower progress than everyone was expecting. I'm a 52 year old male who's never been particularly fit (long history of back problems, but never had a specific diagnosis - just tried osteopathy/chiropractor/physiotherapy until I found a solution that worked at the time!). For the last 6 weeks I've had on-going major flare-up with my operated hip, which is now affecting my ankle and knee. I've stopped attempting any of the post-op exercises and put my regular physio on hold as it's just too painful now and I'm really struggling to walk around the house. Even showering and dressing (particularly putting a sock on!) is incredibly painful. My GP has got me a fresh referral to a completely separate surgical team to investigate what's going on now and I'm counting the days 'til that appointment on 15 Jan. Meanwhile, my other hip is deteriorating fast and causing considerable discomfort and pain too.

I've read various posts on here and elsewhere recounting stories of repeated failed arthroscopies and am really not keen on that and other forms of revision/resurfacing - I'd be more confident with a total hip replacement to be honest now.

I would be grateful for any comments and advice please.

Many thanks.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alex,

First and formost I feel for everyone in your situation I also have labral tears which are slowly but surely deteriorating and limiting my everyday movement , my mri shows no arthritis and good bone but despite this the labral tears are ruining my life, I have learned from my google research comments that suggest resurfacing hip deformities(which often cause laral tears) will grow back as any bone typically does when damaged thus causing more issues etc, I also learned from past surgical experience arthroscopy(key hole stitching up labral tears) fail on people generally older than about 45 years old as blood flow in the labral which is necessary for healing is less in the labral as we age which is why they found it necessary to drill holes through the hip and marrow and put plastic or metal straps through the holes as anchors to strap up the labral tear stitching hoping it will all hold together but as you said all we hear is failure after failure along with severe pain and misery and regret. This email certainly does not sound comforting but both our emails live in the hope that someone out there has found information that can help everyone out there, thank you for letting us hear your experience and comment about skipping arthroscopy in favor of total hip replacement which seems a scary option! Please keep us posted of your further situation and lets hope time heals for you.

• Posted

Thanks for your response, I'll certainly keep updating this thread as i get presented with some options. The prospect of a total hip replacement doesn't exactly thrill me at this point, as I was told the first surgery would solve my initial problem and would then solve my other hip, after 6 months. I now know I was given a bum steer( or have just been unlucky), but I hope it was done in good faith. Trying to stay positive and engage with the new surgical team in good faith, but there's a very sour taste after my initial experience of surgery.

Good wishes to everyone struggling with similar issues.

Alex

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.