Failure of mesh?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Can mesh fail after 8 years? I think my hernia is back.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Anne in Wales, i have a sister Anne in Wales,  hope that all goes well for you,  I had an incisionsal hernia, plus abdominoplasty to repair my abdomen.  This followed on from 3 previous c sections, a laprotomy to repair a bowel perforation 3 years ago, which led to the incisional hernia.  The laprotomy was a life changing event,  I am very lucky to be alive, and am very greatful to my surgeons, but I do believe that mesh repairs for hernia will become a thing of the past.  Hoping you have no further problems.
  • Posted

Thank you moadrieu, this is so interesting, wouldn't it be good if biodegradeable meshes could be used to make us whole.  Especially if they can develop ones that dont fail.  I dont know for sure what type of mesh I have, but pretty certain that it is polyprolene with big holes.  I will read more and ask my doctor next time I go for the type and make of mesh that has been used in me.  It does sound though as if the future may be brighter for sufferers of hernia disease, I do hope and pray so.  Hope all goes well for you moandrieu and that you dont suffer any problems.  xxx

• Posted

Thanks Shirley. I love your upbeat attitude. I'm also part of a group on here for people with knee replacements and it's interesting to hear how things are done in different parts of the world. Some things can seem so much more cutting edge than what I got and I think, well, if I ever need it again, I'm sure it's going to be something newer and greater. Praying that you don't suffer any problems either.

• Posted

Thanks Moandrieu, I teach ballet and love gardening, have 10 grandchildren and keep myself very busy.  Also love cooking and entertaining,basically just dont stop, keep my mind occupied, just could not sit around otherwise I would mope, we only get one shot at it so while I still can will be staying in the race.  Take good care of yourself 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.