Fainted and now advised not to drive

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all and hello from a newbie. On 1st May this year I fainted at work. I briefly stopped breathing and no identifiable pulse. I work for a Fire & Rescue Service so firefighters were on hand who gave CPR. I was taken to hospital and within 2-3 hours I had had an ECG, CT Scan and bloods all of which were clear. I felt fine and was discharged that day. There my troubles begin..... Occupational health at work recommended that I see my GP and ask to be referred to a cardiologist, which I did. I saw the cardiologist privately to speed the process and during the consultation he advised that I had not had a seizure, that it was most likely a vaso vagal syncope, or common faint in other words, but he advised me not to drive and to notify the DVLA. I now have to either wait 18+ weeks for an NHS consultation unable to drive then further await tests or spend £700 on tests privately to hopefully be allowed to drive again, all the while knowing, (and having in writing from the cardiologist) that it was most likely just a faint. I await the DVLA's decision regarding my license. I am a 52 year old man, I have always enjoyed good health and have only fainted

twice in my life - once in 2014 and in May this year. I feel that I am subject to over-precaution here and with my job requiring me to be able to drive, the situation is causing me huge stress. Is there any process of 'appeal' or second opinion that could allow me to return to driving? Thank you in advance.

Steve

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Steve17655

I have epilepsy -& had done since I was 9 . When I was 20 years fit free I was able to drive then around 2014 (something like that) I suddenly had an epileptic fit & banged my head & had to go to A & E for a few stitches

In accoedance with the law obviously I handed my licence in off my own accord & not driven since . I cant afford to drive anymore so rely on lifts & taxis.

I dont know what appeals there are my apologies maybe start with the police to see if they an find you a starting path?? -Only thing I can think off- or maybe a solictor -or if you know anyone who may be able to point you on the right direction

• Posted

Thanks Sarajo. Sorry to hear of your episode. Good idea about the police. I have police colleagues so will ask, don't know why I didn't think of that!

• Posted

Hi Steve17655

No probs You are at an advantage there then - see what they say . Either way it is essential you surrender your licence (You wouldnt beable to drive for obvious reasons- (if you ad a fainting episode at the wheel you would be causing a danget to yourself & other road users & the same applies to me (or anyone who has a health condition & has an episode

• Posted

Hi Steve, I don't know the answers to your question but I have 2 suggestions that may help you.

Do you have a union at work? They would be able to help

Citizens Advice are very helpful

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk

I have a friend who had a fit several years ago & as a result, wasn't allowed to drive for a year & when she had done a year without anymore fits, she could drive again. I think Citizens Advice is probably your best bet. Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you for your reply MrsMop. I'll give CA a go.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.