Fainted during a meal and then was sick - what could cause this?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone!

I don't have a history of fainting, my blood pressure is always great when I have my contraceptive pill review, and otherwise (as far as I know) I'm fairly healthy.

However, last night DURING a meal and not after, I passed out. I apparently was only out for a few seconds, but woke up to my boyfriend and friends bringing me water and checking I could respond.

I remember feeling a bit full and pausing because of that, and then I just fainted.

After fainting I still felt very very weird. I drank a tonne of water but still felt a bit woozy and then about 15 minutes after fainting I was sick.

I remember this happening a while ago when I was at a restaurant, however I didn't faint, I just got the same really odd feeling of being a bit full and a bit lightheaded. But that was well over a year ago.

I'm not allergic to anything, I had only had 1 glass of prosecco and there was nothing I hadn't eaten before.

I'm just curious as to what could have triggered such a reaction? Was it the food? Was it because the restaurant was a bit warm? Is there any other medical explanations?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I believe this would be called vasovagal syncope. It can happen in response to eating, and being in a hot environment wouldn't help.

I would suggest telling your doctor.

It's not necessarily worrying if it is VVS, unless it starts happening more frequently or you become at risk of hurting yourself by falling when you faint.

But definitely good to get it checked out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.