Fainting due to IBS?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've had IBS for many years, initially IBS-D, but now more IBS-C with very painful trapped wind. I had a scary incident ten days ago where I felt wind pain in my stomach and then passed out. The pain wasn't really that bad, but I'm now wondering if the faint was linked to the IBS at all. I put it down to dehydration at the time, but I got pretty bad wind pain today and felt very light-headed, although this time I didn't faint.

I'd be interested to know if others have fainted and if it is common for it to occur with IBS. Would it be worth seeing the GP?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Maybe it was the intensity of the pain that caused you to faint; IBS can cause dizziness too. However, I haven't heard of fainting being a symptom of IBS. Maybe you need to try an antispasmodic again to control the pain. I take Buscopan. Some people control their IBS with diet alone but other need to manage it with a combination of diet and antispasmodics or painkillers followed by stress control. I control mine by taking painkillers and antispasmodics and avoiding stressful situations as much as possible. Diet doesn't affect my IBS. Mebeverine is not a good drug; it is well known to irritate the stomach. I had to throw them out after four days. Tell your doctor Mebeverine didn't suit you and ask for something else. Some people find Windeze good for trapped wind

• Posted

ive had irritable bowel syndrome and it sucks so much I get dizzy every time mine acts up

• Posted

I have a spell of extreme dizziness and faintness at the onset of every attack, before the pain really sets in. I too have to rely on quite a lot of painkillers, but I find simeticone to be much better than mebeverine; and, weirdly, apples seem to help. A lot. I'm just experimenting on that now. But for as long as I am really disciplined about taking all my tablets, it does at least space out the attacks quite a bit.

• Posted

Thank you all for your replies, they're really helpful. I've never heard of Simeticone, Emma, but will have a look at it. I think it may well be time to go back to the GP and discuss it all. Thanks again.

• Posted

Definitely worth seeing a GP I would say.

Fainting may not be connected to IBS at all. I think fainting is usually related to your pulse rate. Only a doctor can really advise you.

Sarah

• Posted

ring the 111 service, the only time i've passed out is when i had very low blood pressure and an ear infection. being chronically constipated makes you feel weak. has your doctor given you medication to soften the bowel, if not see a different doctor. this sounds wrong to me!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.