Fainting spells?

Posted , 3 users are following.

The other day my grandmother mentioned she was kind of nauseous and light headed. Within minutes she sit down stating she thought she was going to faint. While sitting, she just kind of zoned out like she wasn’t all there and then her head dropped forward. Her eyes were wide open but there was nothing there. She was not coherent at all. Her arms shook some in that time. After about 10 to 15 seconds she would kind of come back to but wasn’t really aware of what was happening and took some time to focus on what we were saying. That repeated a few more times. We called the paramedics and she went to the hospital.  

There they did a cat scan, ekg, echocardiogram, blood work, glucose test, and maybe more but couldn’t find any problems. Her blood pressure was 130/90 at the time of the spell and a little lower at the hospital. She is 74. She takes meds for blood pressure, has some forgetfulness that has seemed to progress over the past few years. No major prior health issues that I know of. I know this could be near impossible for anyone to just figure out but if anything stands out and someone could point me in the right direction to research what could be happening would be nice. I am trying to learn on my own but seems a daunting task to just google away. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Ask her if she can hear and comprehend what is being said to her “during” a spell? My guess is that she can. She just has difficulty responding. Also ask her if she feels any sensation inside her head during a spell. 

Is there any chance that she took a little more of her blood pressure medication than usual or that the dosage may need readjusting?

Just wondering, I’m not an M.D.

• Posted

id personally get any heart problem ruled out at the age of 74 then direct focus on tests for autonomic dysfunctions / hormone( gland) disorders 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.