Fall

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

I am now 4 month post op after  Right KTR i was doing so well and feeling positive then las Sunday I slipped on third from the bottom step on my stairs bending my knee all the way back so painful I cried like a baby anyway on Monday I phoned hospital and spoke to orthopaedic Nurse and she had me in on Tuesday for an X-ray she was happy it looks ok which put my mind at rest.  I see consultant end of this month, But I was wondering if anyone else had this happen and did it take long to heal as I assume I has tissue damage it has set me back I feel like I am starting all over again. Feeling so angry with my self as I had been so careful and then this happens but thats life.

Hope you are all doing well and recovering fast.

Take Care

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Haven't fallen yet...I worry about it so I can't give you any advice.  But I am 8 months post TKR and  have broken my  foot!   So I understand the frustration of feeling like you are moving backwards or at least not moving ahead in the recovery.  

• Posted

I took a fall at 6 months off my horse. Foot got caught in the stirrup of leg with TKR, and I got dragged by that leg. Xrays showed everything is ok. A year after TKR surgeon is still saying I have tendonitis of that knee

Tissue takes forever to heal. Best things are ice, rest it and anti -inflammatory. My knee still gives me trouble and my work requires me to be on my feet or using both legs when riding. Thete are yougube videos that help to deal w/ tissue inflamation.

My knee has been inflamed since it got replaced, but I got a second opinion and that surgeon actually found issues with the hardware. He doesn't believe I have tendonitis but rather improperly placed hardware is causing my pain. Going for one more opinion to determine if it needs to be redone or if I live with it

• Posted

Thank you for your advice I will rest and ice can't take ant-inflammatory as i tend to bruise badly when on them but have pain killers. You are braver than me i don't think I would dare ride a horse I do hope it sorts itself out for you I have heard of people saying it took nearly two year for them to be pain free so you never know it may just be time and you will be pain free.I do think you are doing the right thing it getting other options.

• Posted

Terri do you get second opinions through NHS or privately? 

I don’t know if this can be requested via NHS. I am not insured privately.

• Posted

I went out of network for a second opinion. I also got a third. These are their findings:

1. Lower part that the replacement sits on is not in correct position.

2. This has caused bone spurs on the upper part thigh bone.

3. Also has caused bursitis.

Answer: Going to treat bursitis. Do I sections that may help with pain of bone spurs, etc.

4. It needs to be redone and put in correct position.

I will get I redone, but trying to figure out when I can because I have commitments until end of April and then it starts back up the end of May thru the first week of August. I also have to coordinate it all w/ owner of farm where I do feeding in exchange for free lease of horse.

Ideally, I would get it done end of April so I should be ok by end of May for other commitments.

Other issue is going out of network. The expense plus getting there and back....

• Posted

Other opinions (2 of them) said improperly placed, causing other issues and needs to be redone.

I've been ridinghorses since three or 4 years of age. It is my life!!

• Posted

It’s not long since it happened -  I do sympathise as someone rather prone to falls myself it’s a worry - so I think the pain you are having etc probably more to do with the injury of the fall itself and hopefully once that calms down you won’t feel so much that you’ve gone backwards. The trinity of Painrelief-Ice-Elevate ( PIE for knees! ) is probably the best advice but I imagine important to also try to keep up some exercises so you don’t lose the mobility you’ve been building up - check with dr? 
  • Posted

You should be fine. I am a year out and got knocked over by a horse in my barn yesterday. For 3 years if I fell I couldnt get up. Yesterday i fell by the gate. Was able to get on my knees and pull me self up by the gate. I was told I might never get to kneel again but I did. The fall made me see what I can do. And I didnt get hurt,so all is well. So, keep moving. It all helps
    • Posted

Thank you everyone for your advice I feel a little better knowing others have also overcome these problems its a big help thanks
  • Posted

Oh dear poor you. You do have my sympathies. It is one of my fears, falling over, even more so as last week I had my hip replaced. So I have a new knee 7 months on and a new hip a week on. I can still feel my knee clicking and generally felling like I have a tight band around it

The surgeon who did my hip did say it could take a year and maybe the feeling will never go away altogether. Generally speaking I feel at the mo like my active life is over....but got to be positive. I hope your pain soon eases, I fell off a bottom rung of some step ladders years ago and it hurt like like hell ...ended up with a black eye and bruising everywhere. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.