fall after partial knee replacement

Posted , 3 users are following.

I tripped over exactly 10 weeks after a partial knee replacement. I seemed to fall mainly onto my hands and my good knee which is heavily bruised. I got up and had no pain anywhere so continued my walk...rough ground, about 40 minutes. The next day I had no problems except for the bruising on my good knee so I went for another walk....about 45 minutes. then the weather changed so much shorter walks each day, but a few days later my PKR knee started to ache especially when sitting and it has gradually got a little worse. No swelling, no bruising, but a little more stiffness. No pain on walking, but stairs not so good again.

I feel like I have gone backwards and am worried I have damaged my knee although I keep telling myself it must be alright as there is no swelling and I can walk ok.

Has anyone else had this experience?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I am not sure if you are calling the "good Knee" the new PKR knee or the other one .

I feel into my PKR knee 8 weeks after the surgery. I too was very freaked about it. It was bruised a little but within few days it was fine.

I had few people on here remind me that the replacement knees are actually tougher and studier than our other knee.

Give it a few days, maybe ice it ( I did that as well after the fall) and elevate and most likely it will be fine.

Debbie

• Posted

The other thing is you may be doing to much and may need to cut back. 10 weeks isn't that much time.

I had to cut back my walking if my knee started to swell and then figure out the amount of time that worked for me. It took awhile to work up to a very long walk. And still now (4 years out) knee will swell and just not feel right if I over do actvities ( walking, biking) . Take it easy, ice and elevate always help me.

Debbie

• Posted

Yes, thanks. I think I may have been doing too much. But the knee was virtually pain free.

Maybe it was wrong to get up and continue with my walk, and again the next day....but it didn't hurt or swell.

It's now 2 weeks after the fall, bruising fading from 'good' knee and no problem with that one. The other one... the new PKR.... still aches, but mainly when I am sitting around. I do try to keep it up when sitting. But there is no swelling or anything and I can walk with it, no weight bearing pain.

It's just that when i fell i was just thinking...this is great, no pain anywhere!...

PS.... in the original query 'good' knee meant the one not recently operated on, although it too has had a PKR 5 years ago. Never fell after that one.

• Posted

how is your other " good" knee? you still feel it ts

good ? people say pkr will need to be re done into total . My knee seems good at 4 year mark . I would love to run on it but do not because t will wear it out sooner .my surgeon said it should last my life. who knows ?

just wondering how yours is after the 5 year mark .

Be well !

Debbie xx

• Posted

Hi Debbie

Have been following the conversation between you and Ruthie.

I had a right TKR 2 yrs ago last month

and mine has been a succes story.

I was back at Gym after 6 weeks going 3 tines a week for the next 8 months.

I have been back playing indoor tennis twice a week and club team tennis for the last year. I set my self a target of playing tennis again after playing for the last 50 yrs.

You have to have self belief all will be ok. I thought of a PKR but the Surgeon said no as in the long run you would eventually need a TKR.

If you want to run on your knee go for it what have you to loose, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Keep excercising and hopefully the pair if you will reap benefits

Good luck

Howard x

• Posted

My first PKR knee was great until the other one started playing up badly about 9 months ago. I guess I was having to put more weight through it and I started getting the clunking sensation which I hadn't had before and various twinges here and there. The surgeon said the clunking was normal and x-rays and exam were normal and to be honest that made it feel better.

Before this fall both knees were great. I guess I am tense about it all now, probably makes things worse than they are.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.