Fall after TKR

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am so worried I had a fall last week hurt my leg ( Not operated leg) 28 stitches and it's not healing well BUT BECAUSE I was so concerned about the bleeding I forgot to say to A & E I had bumped my TKR LEG as well it has now developed an unusual pain on the left side it feels unstable should I be letting my surgeon know ?? Or is this normal I was doing so well in 4 months post TKR

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

When in doubt, I would definitely call your surgeon. Why take a chance especially after all of your hard work? My heart goes out to you. I can't imagine how difficult this must be for you. I do worry about falling at times and spend much time looking down now instead of up at six weeks post op. I hope you get good news and are on the mend and pain-free in no time.

• Posted

Absolutely call your surgeon. My doctor stressed that infection was the worst side effect possible from a TKR. You don't say if you are on antibiotics, but here in US I think it is pretty standard to prescribe antibiotics for simple procedures (following a TKR), such as dental work. At the emergency facility would they have routinely contacted your surgeon to report the fall?

Please call ASAP.

I am so sorry that you are going through this ordeal. Keep track of your symptoms as you wait to be seen by surgeon.

Try to relax. Read a mindless thriller and eat a few cookies (to keep your strength up lol)

Keep in touch with the forum. We are always here.

Ellie

• Posted

Thanks A &E gave me 5 days antibiotics for prevention but looks like it's very red an inflamed now and my Tkr knee just feels a bit more painful than it was but feels it's got a wobbles x

• Posted

You have my sympathy, I had a fall at 10 months when I went downstairs and missed the bottom step. Although I did not fall on to the operated knee, I overbent it and it became very stiff and swollen.  This was the first day of a holiday in Cyprus which was meant to complete my rehabilitation.  I did not immediately seek medical help as the knee itself did feel quite stable, but I was so worried about it that it was 2 days before I realised that I had hurt my other leg and my shoulder.  After a few days it started to feel better, although it took several weeks to get back to where It was.  If your knee still feels unstable after a week, it is best to get it checked out.

Like Mommermom, I worry about falling and tend to look down when I am walking.  If you wear varifocal glasses, as I do, this can distort your vision as you are looking down through the reading part of your glasses and this makes you feel unsteady.  I no longer wear glasses when out walking.

I hope you have done no lasting damage and both your legs are better soon.

• Posted

thanks for your reply I see my surgeon in 8 days time for a review so I'm hoping that je will examine and solve the problem my other knee I hope will be better enough to start

and take some stitches out the doctor saw last weds said the wound was too sad to even think about it I am starting with manuk (honey) dressing today which is expensive dressing but supposed with its anti-inflammatory and antibiotic preventing molecules mrsa type to promote healing SO hopefully in the next 2 weeks i woll have some good news 💗

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.