Fall after TKR

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had a left TKR about 5 months ago. I was walking down the stairs and my knee gave out, I caught myself but my knee was flexed further then it naturally would flex (110) This was about 9 days ago and since then I have had increased pain in the kneecap area. I see my doctor in 10 days. I'm taking gabapentin 300 mg in a.m. and 600 mg in pm, I also take Tramadol 100 mg 2-3 × a day and Tylenol and ibuprofen prn. When I take the meds I get relief for about 2 hours and have difficulty sleeping at night. Not sure if I did real damage to my knee.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I did the exact same thing. Hurt for quite awhile but no damage.
  • Posted

I know I have heard a lot, try and have a "happy accident". Basically, fall without hurting yourself. It tends to help break up scar tissue. Kind of like a self administered MUA if you will. I hope when you go to your doc, he says all is well. Just keep icing and exercising as best you can. Best of luck!!

• Posted

I kind of thought it was like a MAU, didn't hurt at the time and just one spot is really painful but ROM is better!

• Posted

My knee prosthesis journey. TKR right knee. Op Sweden 2014. Post-op infection with sinus. Deep cleaning 3 x to no avail. In Sweden liberal OxyContin and Tramadol. hospital and pharmacy.

I live in Thailand. I am 68 and I can’t take long cold winters anymore. So my needed two-stage revision op was performed here in Bangkok. First the infected implant was removed (I kept parts as a souvenir) Now I am home  with “spacer” after 6 weeks of IV Vancomycin medication. 

Pain. Yes! My medication Tramadol 50mg every 8 hours. No OxyCodone! Thai protocol.      Usually I only take 50mg per day in the morning with 500 mg Paracetamol and strong coffee. No sugar! 

Gabapentin  in the evening 300 mg. Side effects weird dreams and drowsiness in the morning. I tried 1/2 capsule 150mg. - less drowsiness.

Last night no “GABA” This morning I felt like s**t and had to take Tramadol 75mg one and a half capsule.

My advice try to take LESS Tramadol. Gabapentin no addiction issue as I know. It helps me to sleep and I can manage the drowsiness.  

Finally, high speed internet. Wi-Fi is a must. All the time. Google, YouTube, Apps and podcasts. Focus on other things. Otherwise comes the  “TKR- Pain & Depression” 

• Posted

Hi to be on he safe side I would suggest you request an xray the pain is to be expected after your fall and I'm sure i that will settle .. plenty of ice and rest

• Posted

I think the person you really need to see is the consultant who replaced your knee.

They are the ones who can really tell you if you have done any damage here.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.