Fall in my house

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello all,

Had a very small fall in my house today, slipped on a step,fell on my back. My leg with the THR went out straight I think. There isn't any pain, my good leg took the force I think. I assume I would know if I had damaged the replacement or it had moved at all? Feel very annoyed with myself for not taking more care. I am over 7 weeks post op. My lower back hurts but that is from straining and using the golfing stance to pick up things off the floor.

Sorry to sound like a worrier but don't want to go backwards in my recover.

Thanks so much,

Sarah

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm so sorry you fell . . . don't beat yourself up, as it serves no purpose. Easier said then done, but when we make mistakes, I find that the most valuable lessons come to light if we are kind to ourselves. Do you have a grabber? Like me, when I had both knees replaced in 2011, I was re-arranging furniture approximately 7 weeks post-op and took one of my German Shepherds to the side of the house and fell! Probably best to call your surgeon just to be on the safe side. I hope your back feels better soon . . .

Georgette

• Posted

Thanks so much Georgette. I think I have tended to do more things around the house and not taken as much care and rushed about. It seems common thing to do about 7 weeks post op as I feel ok. Have learnt a lesson I think. I do have a grabber and will use it again for the time being.

Sarah

• Posted

I am truly sorry you fell and please be careful. I know they will ask you about any situation you may have experienced. Please continue to monitor the area. you should be ok but if there is any certain tingling in the area that bothers you. I would get it checked out. We have gone through enough and we do not want to reinjure the site. praying

• Posted

Thanks very much

I am due to see my physiotherapist on Saturday so will discuss then. It feels ok at the moment but will see how it is. I am sure I wouldn't be able to move if I had done very serious damage. I am due back to work on Monday so probably trying to do too much.

Sarah

• Posted

Hello Sarah,

I too fell on the bottom couple of stairs at about 7 weeks post op for a hip revision.

Luckily I landed on my bottom and my knee went out at a right angle rather than in towards the middle which we're not supposed to do in case of dislocation. It was my ankle that hurt a little bit.

I see my consultant in a week and will mention it to him then, 5 weeks after my fall.

Like you I worked on the premise that if I didn't have any pain I've hopefully not done any damage.

I wanted to reassure you but I do think it's a good idea to mention it on your next visit.

I have continued to improve with my mobility and pain despite the fall and I hope you do too.

Regards

Ali

• Posted

Hi Sarah. I also had a fall at the surgery when I went to have my clips removed - just went woozy and fainted (first time for everything). I was very worried that I had damaged the hip but fortunately fell on the good leg. the doctor examined me and said if I didn't feel any pain it would be fine. i'm 4 weeks now and have also been experiencing lower back pain. i think I was being overconfident and bending. i moved back to using two crutches and it feels fine now. it's very hard not to worry so you're definitely not alone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.