Fall on NWB cast

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all, I had surgery 4 days ago to pin a multifragmental proximal fibula fracture. I came home yesterday with a non weight bearing cast on but this morning I lost my footing on the Zimmer frame and had no choice but to put weight on the injured ankle. The pain has now increased even when elovated. Has anybody had a similar experience? Maybe just a bit swollen and expect the pain to ease off shortly or would you recommend calling the hospital. Any help would be much appreciated, I'm slightly panicking that I have done damage within one day of coming home sad 

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I don't understand why everyone that is non weight bearing is not sent home with a wheelchair. Crutches take a lot of practice. Laura have you considered renting one? I'm not sure what a Zimmer frame is maybe what we call a walker in the US. 

Try to keep your spirits up and accept help.

• Posted

Hi Machelle, I know it doesn't make sense does it! I'm going to ask my doctor for a chair this week and if not I'm going have to look into renting one 😊

• Posted

Zimmer frame is a aluminium frame that you lift forward jump on good leg while holding injured leg up behind you. Bloody hilarious, I think the person recommending this apparatus should have their leg broken to demonstrate it properly. Some surgeons need a bloody good break as well. I bought a wheelchair online the day after the break and it arrived day 3. I was amazed at how quick it was.it would have cost more to hire,,I would have broken my other foot or neck without it. And the hell of getting to hospital and dr. I was able to use cruches at 5 weeks when weight bearing.i walked unaided at 8 weeks I looked like a zombie but god it felt good. Happy healing   
    • Posted

How do they expect someone to jump forward without losing balance? Honestly I believe doctors have never used these devices. I'm so glad to hear you walked unaided at 8 weeks!! Did you graduate from a cast to a boot? How far out from surgery are you now? 

I hope to get my boot a week from tomorrow, then gradually begin too bear weight and start physical therapy! Yay! 

This is the best forum I have found to get advice!

Thanks Jenni

• Posted

I had boot for 1 1/2 weeks of the worst pain I've ever had. Nerve pain was cruel. I'm tough but I cried day and night an then thought this is bs and saw dr she was concerned when I said. NOT wearing that it's nasty so she sent me for ex ray and sent me back to surgeon who said. Don't wear it it's to support not cause pain. You have ordered your Even Up Shoe haven't you. 

• Posted

Wow so sorry you had that kind of pain. Besides this unbearable cast my pain hasn't been that bad. We will see when I get in a boot next Monday. Count down!! 

I did order the Evenup shoe, thank God you told me about it since my doctors failed to mention it!

Take care Jenni, you have become my broken ankle guru!! biggrin

Cant wait until I'm as far out as you are.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.