Fall with cast

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I had surgery about 3 weeks ago for a trimalleolar fracture. A few hours ago I slipped on a rug and my crutches fell from under me and I put some weight on my casted ankle and kind of slid/did a little dance till I could grab the cabinet. It started swelling immediately and starting hurting (not bad enough for a pain pill).  I freaked out a bit. And still feel uneasy about it. Now it just feels sore and swollen near the incision sites, just not feeling like it usually does. Not sure if I should call my doc or go in for X-rays or just let it be for a few days and then see how it feels. Thanks.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I did the same with mine and it acted similar I would probably see how it goes over the next 12 hours and if it abates you should be fine if it’s still the same I’d call. 
  • Posted

I have injured myself also during femur break and also TKR. I ended up with a year of my inside ligament to left knee not attached to anything from the simple fall forward onto grass that broke my femur. I have had to have a 2nd TKR for left leg and now I have fallen again. I think I've loosened up the joint again. Medical is too much $$ so I'm not going in either. I would say because you are swollen and it's in your incision site that you should get it checked. Or lingering issues could happen. You could have screwed up internal stitches. Not sure they are healed in 3 weeks time when they're are internal. Good luck. Let us know how it's going.

• Posted

Get advice. A call or visit will make sure all is OK. 3 weeks is early on. The cast should have protected it. But pain and swelling should be checked. Good luck and lets us know how it goes xxx
  • Posted

Elevate, take an ibruprofen for the swelling and if not better within 24 hrs then contact the Dr.
    • Posted

My surgeon said ibuprofen delays healing, so not to take it more than once.
  • Posted

You better go to the ER!! Your Doctor going to ask you does a feel uncomfortable does it really hurt you probably going to tell you go to the ER are you probably did already

• Posted

How are you doing?
    • Posted

Swelling and pain has went down so I think the cast protected it well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.