Falling

Posted , 9 users are following.

31/2 weeks intoTKR and twice now I have fallen not sure if luck or not but each time a cupboard saved me hitting the floor so bumps and bruises but able to get back to my chair. When I was in hospital un related to falls my surgeon told me to get on with things you can not damage the replacement I had to say it was the other parts of me that were the worry.!! Any thoughts on the falls guys when your home alone.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Falling is indeed scary. I used a walker the first couple weeks and my doctor had challenged me to come visit his office at 4 weeks without it. Slow steps with the cane in my apartment got me there. I continued using the cane when I went out, especially when there were a lot of people involved. I was living in India at the time and the sheer number of people rushing around could be a little overwhelming. Until you are feeling stable and have gained the muscles mass that you need to hold you steady and keep you up, have one handy.

When my grandma had her knees replaced, she was so terrified of falling she never regained her leg strength and stayed in a wheelchair until she died. You don't want that to be you. Good Luck.

Mo

• Posted

thanks no for sure don't want to live in a chair I use crutches at the mo as I have a weak back with a cage in but I got over that and will do the same with this 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.