Falling apart over ovarian cyst

Posted , 8 users are following.

I will see my gyn on Tuesday about the complex ovarian mass that she diagnosed last week.  At age 45, peri menopausal, not sleeping much, waking up sad and feeling doomed every day, this diagnosis makes me feel like I can't get my head together at all.  The anxiety is huge.  I'm looking into taking magnesium or adding related foods to my diet as suggested, but I am terrified of going to the doctor on Tuesday.  I am so scared and weepy, thinking I am going crazy.  All lab results and other scanned areas normal so far and my sister and others close to me say I will be fine and not to worry so much, but I can't describe where my mind is this morning, it is very bad and dark, feeling like this is my fault somehow and wanting to take better care of myself.  Please share if you've been through this, I'm terrified and trying to hope there will be better days ahead.

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Elizabeth,

I'm so sorry that your are feeling sad about this all. I have had exactly the same think and had my right ovary and a 36cm cyst removed in Jan. I was in a lot of pain beforehand and was really really down every day with it all and also too had the thought that this is my fault and I should have taken better care but cyst as so very common in women of all shapes and sizes so try not to think it's your fault it's just another issue women have to deal with! Try to keep busy and think positive. I still have my down days but overall I'm feeling a lot better about it!

Take care and hope your get it all sorted and feel better xx

• Posted

Hi Rosie,

I'm glad that you are feeling better, that gives me hope.  Mine is also in the right ovary.  I had a bad experience with my previous gyn doctor but have good care now. You're right, it does seem that lots if women have cysts - it is more common than I thought!  Thanks for sharing.

• Posted

Hi elizabeth. I hope all goes well for you on Tuesday. I will be

Thinking of you. I hope you get good results. Please let us know how you get on.

All the best

tracy. Xxx

• Posted

Hi Tracy,

I appreciate your kindness and will let you all know what I find out.  Feeling a bit better this afternoon and plan to get help with anxiety as well.  

Thank you!  

Elizabeth 

• Posted

I swim a mile a day in the pool and still got a cyst. You had nothing to do with a cyst forming, you just drew the unlucky stick. I had mine removed along with both ovaries and both tubes and a d&c in August and I have never felt better. I think that big mass in your gut tends to make you feel miserable in so many different ways. Bloated, achy, bad skin, weight gain, tired with no energy. try to stay positive and realize you had nothing to do with this.
    • Posted

That is so true, Sheri... definitely the weight gain and fatigue are the worst... it messes with your mind, doesn't it?  I like to get daily exercise, too, and usually walk about two miles a day, which helps some.  Thank you for sharing about your surgery, too!  Can't wait to be done with mine!
  • Posted

I understand how you feel.  I have been dealing with mine since last Septmeber.  I have had some other issues as well.  I refer to my cyst as a ball and chain. My right side is 8 cm and my left is appx. 5 cm.  I know it's not as big as some but it sure is distracting.  It makes it difficult to do much around the house or other activities. I do feel depressed and full of anxiety.  My surgery is scheduled for April 7 which isn't too far away now. I will pray for you in hopes that you are able to reslove this soon. 
    • Posted

Hi Alice,

I will pray for you, too.  My report says that the right ovary measures 7.7 x 4.6 cm and the symptom that sent me to the doctor was urinary frequency because it's pushing on the bladder, so as you say, it is distracting and causes some discomfort.  I see why you call it a ball and chain!  It is good that your surgery is scheduled soon and I hope you will feel much better when it is over... the anxiety and depression are horrible.  It helps to know we are not alone.

Take care,

Elizabeth

• Posted

Hello Elizabeth,

Your not alone! I have a 17cm cyst and 26years old. I'm just dying to get it out.

I'm sure it's bigger by now. Gained so much weight out of nowhere and sleepy and a moody b**** to be quite honest. But you just have to keep positive. It's the only way! No news is good news. It's hard, try not to worry though, they are quite common and usually not too serious.

I'll look out for your updated! Take care!xx

• Posted

Hi Roseanna,

We definitely have some things in common with the weight gain, mood and fatigue!  Pretty sure some people in my life think I've lost my mind.  I'm sorry you're going through this.  I also had cysts in my 20s, but they were the kind that went away on their own.  Do you know how soon you'll be able to have yours removed?  

Take care and keep me posted,

Elizabeth

• Posted

Hi again Elizabeth,

Yeah it should be soon waiting on the operation letter to come but going to go tomorrow see if I can find out more from gp. You'll just have to let your family and friends know your worried about your cyst and that it maybe making your mood change.

I'm soooo fatigued girl! But waiting is the worst. Have you got any info on your operation? Are you in uk?

Try not to go to mental! 😂 though I understand it's not easy.

Regards Roseanna

• Posted

Hi Roseanna,

I'm in the U.S.  When I see the gyn doctor this week, she expects to be able to tell me her recommendations about surgery based on the additional lab tests that she ordered, so I hope that scheduling will follow shortly.  It's a horrible maze to navigate here with the health insurance companies dictating everything, but so far everything I've needed with this has been approved.  I hope that continues to be the case.

My mom had a dreadful experience with menopause, panic, etc., and she had a large uterine fibroid and a benign ovarian neoplasm, both of which were removed during a full hysterectomy, so she is very understanding.  My sister is a couple of years younger than me and this hasn't hit her yet, although she did have a benign breast cyst removed in her late 20s.

Hope you can get some rest... the fatigue can be quite awful.

Take care,

Elizabeth

• Posted

Hello Elizabeth again,

Not sure how it all works in the USA medically. But seems like you have a good bit of knowledge with surgery from your mother and sister's problems.

I have a simple cyst (most likely) it's just very large. You can get through this, it's gets a part of life, That some women have to deal with as best as we can.

I hope you get medical help soon.

Regards Roseanna xx

• Posted

Thanks, Roseanna... I'm trying to stay calm and think positively today!
  • Posted

I got a call today that I wasn't expecting from my gyn doctor's office... the nurse called to say that the lab tests ordered last week all came back normal, so I am said to be at "low risk" for cancer, although I know the ovary has to come out... but it is a relief to have this information and I'll see the doctor tomorrow as scheduled to find out what's next.  I continue to be grateful for your prayers and well-wishes and this forum is a huge help, I'm glad we can be here for each other.  Thanks again!
    • Posted

Hi Elizabeth I have messaged you I howl you don't mind but experiencing severe anxiety too and just wanted to know what other lab work you had done ? I have only had two scans and a ca 125 blood test and due my 3rd scan next week due to 3 irregular cyst on ovary,largest cyst 2 x 1.4 cm but I frequently need a wee too like you. Take care Michelle xx
    • Posted

Hi Michelle, no problem at all, I'll give you a quick summary here that may help others as well.  I've had a bit of an adventure!

This all began when I made 3 visits to a GP in January thinking I had a UTI and urinalysis showed blood on every visit but no bacterial growth on further testing.  The only other symptom was having to urinate frequently.  Antibiotic (Cipro) did not help.  Was referred then by GP to both urologist and gyn.  Made 3 visits to urologist, had two more urinalysis tests, a CT scan, and a Cystoscopy to check for bladder problems - nothing showed up except for an enlarged right ovary, which was found on the CT scan, and final urinalysis was normal, no blood, but urinary frequency persisted.  

Saw gyn two days after getting CT scan results and she did pelvic and breast exams, urinalysis, and some basic blood work (had finger pricked, guessing she did CBC and related analysis), and she also ordered more blood work on hormone levels.  This first batch of testing turned out to be for these:  testosterone; progesterone; DHEA-sulfate; androstenedione; FSH; LH.  All of these show normal levels.

The gym also ordered pelvic and vaginal ultrasound, which confirmed the ovarian mass, and she told me at my first visit with her that it was pressing on my bladder.  However, she explained that this would not have shown up during Cystoscopy done by urologist because you are lying down.  At the ultrasound consultation, she ordered another round of blood work and said it would be to help determine which hormone could be "feeding" the ovarian mass.  The nurse called to tell me these results were all normal and when I go today I'll get a copy of that report so I'll know what was tested and can post later.

I hope this helps!  Do you know what type of cysts you have?  Sometimes they shrink, mine is called complex and will have to come out.  Take care and will share more later after today's appointment.

• Posted

Thank you ironically I've just had the hormone blood tests done just now testesterone LH FSH prolactin to check for peri menopause as periods all over place but im 49 soon.how old are you ? No one has even looked at my scan images as when I saw gyn he couldn't get them up on computer !! I wonder if anyone checks the sonographers report and images does anyone know ? All I know is there 3 small irregular thick walled cysts so definitely complex but had shrunk slightly from novembers to January's scan which gyno said reassured him. please update later when you see your Dr thank you so much Michelle xx
    • Posted

Hi Michelle, I have added my update below with all the details!  Another step in this adventure.
    • Posted

Thank you so so so very pleased for you don't worry now you're going to be just fine xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.