Falling asleep in my chair!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all, I'm glad I read a lot on this forum to see how others are coping with the TKR.  I had my second one 12 years after the first, last March 20, so that's a month and a few days.  I see that lots of people are still suffering much longer than that in recovery!  I had hoped I'd be feeling better by now.  I was hoping to drive on Tues. to a therapy group meeting which I need for my mental health, but so far I sleep so easily while being up in my chair watching tv.  Suddenly I'm awake again 15 min later, and then drop off again.  I don't remember this from the first one.  How soon did any of you begin driving (with the replacement on the undriving leg)?

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I am still very tired. Cannot believe how much! Anaemia after operation too. I am six weeks on. Slow but moving in right direction!☺
  • Posted

Within a week. But only short drive as I couldn't stand my leg being down that long.

• Posted

It took me 3 weeks of sleeping in my reclining chair before attempting the bed after number of failures😂I then experiment I did what they say don't do I put a pillow lengthwise to support the leg it's magic the first night 8 hours sleep I did exercises 3 times a day and now I'm walking 7000 steps a day 😁 ( fitzip)measured I only do exercises 1 a day but doing loads of bending doing housework I reckon I have 120 bend and working on it 😁driving I could do but hubby likes to do it 😁Oh by the way it's 12 weeks now for me tightness almost gone stiffness only on a morning and no swelling Hope and wish you luck on what's the most painful op xx

• Posted

Not driving, at almost 8 weeks post op, but if I wanted to, I could.  Strangely I haven't felt that tired during the day since I came home!  In hospital I was sleeping for most of the time (in for two days) but haven't slept during the day since then and if the other knee (waiting for op) hasn't kept me awake then I've slept through most nights.  But I put it down to having the spinal rather than general anaesthetic and I have rested A LOT during the day.  I think what you've said just confirms what everyone is saying about if you have both knees done, the recovery can be quite different for each, even with the same surgeon.  Hope you can get to your meetings soon.

• Posted

Hi Debbie

I am in the U.K., had right TKR , I drove after 4 weeks, was not so easy getting in the car.

Good healing

• Posted

Can you ask someone else to take you? My hospital said no driving for six weeks. ..it's not just to do with the leg, I don't think.

• Posted

I'm not sure that insurance will cover you for the first six weeks?

• Posted

Both comments are true if you were to have a bump insurance company's will use the recent TKR NOT TO PAY OUT I was told 3months for driving again

• Posted

Thank you all for the replies.  I never thought of the car insurance thing!  I've decided not to drive for another few weeks, mostly because I fall asleep at the drop of a hat, but the insurance thing is a good excuse, too.  I asked my brother to drive me to "Group" and he didn't think it was important enough to drive all that way to talk to some other ladies.  So I should have just said, "I need to go to the doctor..."  Like my mental health isn't as important as my physical!  Ooo, big brothers....  Even when I'm 63, he acts like I'm not that smart.  Just kidding...

• Posted

You need to get over to your brother that you need this support Debbie.  Any way you can so if you need to say you're going to the doctor, then do that:-))))  But do look after yourself:-))))

• Posted

Are you still on opioid painkillers?

• Posted

I am still taking doses of pain killers, more than I did before the operation.  So I'd like to get down to at least that level soon.  I'm not sure the pain killers are causing the sleepiness, though, since they had tended to make me feel slightly better and more awake before.

• Posted

Are you taking opioid drugs like hydrocodone (Vicodin, Norco), oxycodone (Percocet), pure oxycodone (Oxycontin) or even Tramadol (Ultram) which is a semi-synthetic opioid?  All of these can make you sleepy, especially in larger doses.  For example 5/325 of Norco is way less than a 10/500 pill.

If you are on any of these, you should not be driving.  The Tramadol is "iffy" but still an opioid.  I don't think your doc would approve of your driving on any of these meds.  You could be at risk if you got into an accident from both the personal injury and legal sides.

• Posted

I had my TKR, left knee, 2 years ago the 27th of this month. I was told NOT to drive for 6 weeks, and also NOT to drive if still taking pain meds!!! The pain meds mess up your reaction time and make you sleepy, so your driving will be impaired. Behind the wheel of a car is not a good place to be. Though it's been two years, the first year was a total bear. They weren't kidding when they said it would take a year at least to get fully back to normal. When you think of what they did to your knee, it's no wonder. Hang in there this is a sprint, NOT a marathon race. There is a lot of helpful information on this forum and we're all in different lengths of recovery. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.