Falling TSH

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been having horrible anxiety and depression symptoms and unable to sleep. I’ve had tachycardia for years that they are unable to find a reason for. My TSH has always ran low normal <1 but recently my anxiety and sleep issues have increased. Today my TSH was .49 which is the very bottom of the reference range when 6 months ago it was .88. My doctor said we will just keep an eye to see if it falls below normal. In the last 3 years you can see that every test it has fallen lower. Why would she not be willing to test my freeT3/4 now? Is there any evidence that thyroid will make you feel suddenly “crazy” and as if you are crawling out of your own skin? Any info would be helpful. 

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Lelah,

Hashimoto's thyroiditis sends out "mixed messages" making you feel hypo one minute and hyper the next. I have never been offered a free T3 test in the UK on the NHS. I have had to beg for a T4 test and only had 2 in all the years since I was diagnosed.  To know what my thyroid is doing, I have to get private tests done.  It was in doing this that I discovered that my thyroid problem was due to Hashimoto's.  I got my own antibodies tested and found out myself.  In the UK the NHS relies on the TSH test primarily, which as we both know, does not reflect what is going on at cellular level and on it's own, is a bit of a waste of time.  I was told, it's due to cost.  This is probably why you (and probably hundreds more patients like you and me) receive a woefully inadequate service in relation to our thyroid issues.

There are good private testing facilities in the UK ( and probably better ones elsewhere ) if you feel that you are forced into taking the matter into your own hands, like I had to.  It ain't right, but it's a sad fact.

I hope you get the answers you need, one way or another.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.