falls and stumbles following partial knee

Posted , 4 users are following.

10weeks following partial knee. Lots of physio as quads weak . Bad fall at 4 weeks as knee let me down . Still feels weak .swelling when i have been on it for a while .lost my confidence and still walk with a stick .anyone else experienced similar

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had TKR 3 and a half years ago. Before that I was walking with a stick .

When I started going to physio when she thought my walkilng was good enough physio said "We're going to get rid of this stick you don't need it now" I had been walking with it for years.

I did fall at about 4 months post op but was fine afterwards.

Try walking round the house without a stick.

Then gradually go outside.

Be careful though as weather gets colder and it may begin to get a bit slippery.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Its having the fall that has made me lose my confidence because i am now suffering with back pain too. Every so often now it lets me down but find it difficult to explain why .It feels really wierd and i nate it . Am doing all my physio and cycling .next is swimming and walking longer distances . How long did it take you to get back to being normal .I have a job to go back to
    • Posted

To be honest it was about a year before I really began to feel the benefits of the operation. Difficult to say normal because I had not been normal for many years before the op. It will never be normal but certianly a great improvement on what it was.

Hope this helps

Sarah

• Posted

Both knees have been bad for yrs but at least i have maintained my busy job as a midwife . Am just a bit frightened that i wont get my mobility back to go back to work . Maybe its early days and frankly i dont knowwat else to do . Its this falling thing that scares me . It still lets me down from time totime . I can cope with pain n stiffness if it doesnt let me down .my mobility at present is far worse than its ever been . I dont hear of anyone new knee letting them down n falling .x
  • Posted

I am 14 weeks after op i an still having problems i cant lift it because it hurts really bad when i stand i can feel the new knee and sometimes it presses againt my skin not sure if it will ever settle down i an back to hospital tuesday to see tje docter who did ot hoping for answers dont no if i will get any it is the walking i strugle with hope u ok and it gets better xx

• Posted

Thankyou for your reply . I am seeing my consultant in two weeks . I do walk around but nervously I dont get a lot of pain but it does swell quite a bit . Every so often it sort of lets me down and feels very wierd inside . Generally it feelsmlike a tight band around the knee. Am told it will improve . Am desperate to get back to normality i think i expected a lot more .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.